Configuring wireless router as a range extender or repeater

I've a spare modem, Linksys E2000 which I want to configure as a range extender or wireless repeater. There are DD-WRT firmware versions available that 'promise' to allow to do that; but the whole process looks complicated to me (haven't done anything like this before). The linksys official website however says that Linksys routers cannot be configured as a wireless range extender or repeater. My assumption is that 'range extender' and 'wireless repeater' are just two terms to describe the same thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If anyone of you has done the configuration before, please let me know if there's an easy way to do it. I'd go through regular way - but I'm totally hard-pressed for time to really try that out.

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Yes you are correct.
    Per definition from Wikipedia -- A wireless repeater (also called wireless range extender) takes an existing signal from a wireless router or access point and rebroadcasts it to create a second network.

One of my friend tried to do that, but he couldn't do that at all. So I don't have a good first hand experience of doing that.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There are a number of people who've said that they're using E2000 as a wireless repeater. I think it all needs custom firmware to reveal all the possibilities. #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# any idea?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, I suggest you give DD-WRT a shot.

If possible, can you give us a simple diagram of your network layout plan? How many PCs or devices do you intend to connect to it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Yes, I suggest you give DD-WRT a shot.

If possible, can you give us a simple diagram of your network layout plan? How many PCs or devices do you intend to connect to it?
    I checked their instructions and I'm little hesitant to try them out. But I think I'll have to do it anyways.

My setup is as follows -

FTTH -> ONT Device -> Primary Router (Wireless) -> Two Desktops Connected Via Ethernet Cables -> One or two more devices connect wirelessly.

The setup I want to have :

FTTH -> ONT Device -> Primary Router (Wireless) -> Second Wireless Router Acting As A Range Extender (This is the one I want to configure) -> Connect PS3 to this secondary router via Wi-Fi.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    is your model supported by DD-WRT? I second ash on this, give it a try . I might as well be trying it on netgear as weekend DIY (need to check if I still have that old device )..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Kaustubh : I am curious to know did you try DD_WRT? did you get the results you had expected?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    @ Kaustubh : I am curious to know did you try DD_WRT? did you get the results you had expected?
    Didn't try it yet. I'm bit confused. The literature it requires me to read even before getting to the first step is overwhelming. Would be nice if someone could provide me with quick steps to follow. I've Linksys E2000. It's supported, I read.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hmm Hmm,I have not tried it yet personally,I do have a spare Netgear to try out and would try installing DD-WRT . Hopefully sometime useful turns out.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    just getting back, seems there is no DD WRT firmware for the netgear device i have- WGR614v7. The device has only 2MB flash and DDWRT can be installed only on devices with more than 2MB flash
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Didn't try it yet. I'm bit confused. The literature it requires me to read even before getting to the first step is overwhelming. Would be nice if someone could provide me with quick steps to follow. I've Linksys E2000. It's supported, I read.
    Are your referencing from here? #-Link-Snipped-#

Just follow the steps. The only thing to make sure is you do the 30/30/30 reset properly and use the recommended initial build mentioned. No need to try out the other experimental builds.

Before you start, just check that you can access the router web interface firmware upgrade page so you are familiar with it. This is where you need to upload the DD WRT firmware thats in the form of .bin format (you should have downloaded this file on your computer already).

Steps
    1. Disconnect all cables and wireless clients.
    2. Do a 30/30/30 reset on router
    3. Connect 1 Lan cable to pc doing the flash.
    4. Log into Linkysys Web Interface Firmware Upgrade page at 192.168.1.1 and flash the firmware 14929 E2000 Trailed Initial Flash Build
    5. Wait 10 minutes until WLAN (wireless) light turns on.
    6. Power cycle by unplugging E2000 for 30 secs.
    7. Plug E2000 back in and wait about 5 minutes until it finishes booting.
    8. Do a 30/30/30 reset on router.
    9. Wait 3 minutes and log into web interface.

Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):
    The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:
    • With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
    • Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
    • Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds
    This procedure should be done BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade/downgrade.
    14929 E2000 Trailed Initial Flash Build
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just to add, if you are not familiar with accessing that particular IP address, just set your PC's IP to an address on the same IP subnet of the router, e.g

PC IP: 192.168.1.2
    subnet 255.255.255.0

And ping the router's IP to see if its accessible.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I don't know how WebCakeDesktop software is installed on my computer. I have this software installed from past few weeks. I have thought that this is a built-in software. I...
India's leading automobile maker, Tata Motors and the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) have jointly developed India's first fuel cell powered bus, after several years of research. The final model...
World's largest tunneling machine, "Bertha" has recently had the first day at job that will last about 14 months. Finally, after a lot of testing Bertha has began doing what...
Indian Telecom Department is working on development of a sub $100 smartphone to drive the broadband push, one of the top telecom officials has disclosed to ToI. The move, if...
It is much better to wash your car yourself, rather than at a car wash outlet. An hour a week can be an investment in your car’s future, not to...