Computer's IP Address

Where can we find computer's ip address? Please list all the possible ways
and also the ways it can be changed if it can be.

Can we create a file that can retrieve a computer's ip address automatically?

Can this be done from a website? How can we retrieve the ip address of a computer from our website?

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Please contribute any thing you know about handing ip addresses - lookup, hide, change, trace, etc
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    open command prompt
    type ipconfig/all
    you will get ip address
    2nd thing yeah you can change ip address of your computer if you are working on lan..
    however if you are using internet i don't think so that you can change ip address...
    I hope so
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    thanks

Can anyone pitch in with more details

i think it is possible to retrieve ip address from website

rapidshare is one example
  • dipen30
    dipen30
    this site gives you your ip address #-Link-Snipped-#

if you want to change your ip then first disconnect internet and connect again it your ip will be change. it is possible if you are using ADSL modem it is not working in DSL modem(cable).

you are free to correct me.
  • faizaan
    faizaan
    There are 2 types of ip address Static & Dynamic.

ipaddress that we use on our LAN i.e 192.168.x.x are static and are private to our network and are static i.e it does not change .

ipaddress that is assigned to computer when you are connected to internet is dynamic & it changes at every session.

There are number of ways to find ip address of computer

goto cmd and type ipconfig you will get ip address of your pc on your LAN & if you are connected to internet than it will also give your external dynamic ip address assigned to you by your ISP .

If ipconfig does not give your dynamic ip than you can goto #-Link-Snipped-# & it will give your external ip address also here you can map your ip address and find it's approximate location.

Yes it is also possible to change your external ip address by using proxy.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    how can then we retrieve the static ip address of the computer

Please more about the dynamic ip address?

If it does change then is it that it cannot be known by anyone? the next time we login we
    get a new dynamic ip is it also the one any other computer was previously having?
  • dipen30
    dipen30
    static ip address is your LAN ip address which is given by you or your admin if your computer is connected in LAN.

in cmd write ipconfig it gives

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection & PPP connetion.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection gives static ip address and PPP connection gives dynamic ip address.

dynamic ip address range is depend on ISP. According to my knowledge some range will be allocated to ISP in that range our dynamic ip address will be change. so if ISP is different then dynamic ip address will also different.

but i don't know if ISP is same.

so please anyone Explain "the next time we login we
    get a new dynamic ip is it also the one any other computer was previously having?"
    in case of same ISP.
  • faizaan
    faizaan
    static ipaddress can be given by user or admin and it is private to our network so just we have to take care that no other computer on our network is assigned same ip address
    else it will give conflicting ipaddress error.

To set your static ipaddress goto LAN->properties->tcp/ipv4->properties->use following ipaddress .

For your information ipv4 address are 32 bit long and every computer on internet requires unique ip addrss to be part of internet.

ISP is assigned a block of addresse's which it can assign to it's customer.

So whenever you connect to internet your ISP gives one of the ipaddress from it's block of addresse's and when you disconnect your ip address will be reclaimed so that it can be given to any other person.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    thanks for the information

now i also asked for a way in which we can create a file to retrieve the address automatically when it is opened for the first time?
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    static & dynamic -- public & private are two different type of classifications of IP address.
    Your LAN ip is not static, you can change it & there is no meaning of distinguishing LAN IP , static or dynamic. LAN ip is provide by dhcp (dynamic host configuration protocol)
    configured in the server.
    If you change your ip to another unique ip & set gateway, dns as per other computers in the lan, it will still work.

When your IP changes each time you connect to the internet, it is called Dynamic, happens often in dial up connections, because your pc modem dials the isp modem & gets a new ip everytime.
    In broadband connections you get static ip or when you are hosting a site, thats complex part.

"Public" IP addresses are those which are accessible on the Internet & its illegal to use them in LAN.
    Private IPs are those ip sets that you can use it in your local lan .
    There are some particular ranges of ip which you can use in LAN to configure your network. They are as follows--
    10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Infact, in this type of classification, there are 3 types of IP, public or real, private & illegal ip.
    Illegal ip are public ips which are used within LAN. "Illegal" just means that the address is not a reserved "private" IP.It will create a problem, when you try to access that public ip through internet, which you already set in your lan.

For retriving your ip you can create a simple batch file.

open notepad & type in it

@echo off
    ipconfig | findstr IPv4 > ip.txt

save it as ip.bat
    When you run this bat file, it will create a ip.txt file which contains all ips that your system possess. For different interfaces in your pc you have different ips (if you are using a wireless lan & wired lan at the same time, you will have 2 different ips). You can modify the string after findstr as per your need.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    sarveshgupta
    thanks for the information

now i also asked for a way in which we can create a file to retrieve the address automatically when it is opened for the first time?
    hi you can create a batch file for that when u just open it with out command propmt ...it gives u the address..
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Thanks

so the output of the ip addresses will be displayed only when we click on the batch file and execute it so that it gives us a txt file

if want to write a code such that we have a setup that while installing gets the value of any one of the address only once and does not take the address again

Can we do it?
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    hello!!!!!!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    sarveshgupta
    Thanks

so the output of the ip addresses will be displayed only when we click on the batch file and execute it so that it gives us a txt file

if want to write a code such that we have a setup that while installing gets the value of any one of the address only once and does not take the address again

Can we do it?
    You can write a simple java or vb.net or C# code for it.
    I'll write a vb.net application for it soon whenever I get time & I will post it here. I can't make out what you mean by your second line.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Thanks

Actually i want to make a provision such that for any file that any person downloads should get its computer ip address and lock . If any other person copies it on his computer without downloading it, the file should match the ip address with that stored

If same should open otherwise must not open.
  • meera23
    meera23
    If u want to find Your computer ip address Go to - run- type cmd - type ip config .you can find Your ip address.And You want to find Your internet ip address visit this siteIP-Details: Your IP Address
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    thanks

but also please see what i want to do next
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    this is a simple application , i have developed in vb.net which displays you ip, download it from this place --
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Iridium
    Iridium
    Will post Soon with new details
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    sarveshgupta
    elaborate your question
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    For more about IP address check out here dude😀

Ip Address
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    I want to say

suppose we have a file that is on my system. When i open it for the first time, I want to retrieve the ip address of my computer automatically and lock it that is every time i now open this file it checks or matches the address stored with it with that of the computer in which it is opening.. if it does not match it should not open.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    I can't make out, your motive of doing so... but it will be better if you use mac address instead of ip address. As your computer may not have any ip or it can be changed easily & then your program will produce inconsistent results.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    so please tell me how to do it with the mac address

thanks
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    sarveshgupta
    so please tell me how to do it with the mac address

thanks
    What language you use..?
    Anyhow,,In java You can retrieve the mac address of the host by using NetworkInterface class .This class contains the method called getHardwareAddress with this method you can retrieve.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Thanks

can you please help with the question also as given in the post number 23
  • serenen
    serenen
    Thats nice site to find computers ip address
  • serenen
    serenen
    Hey you can find all details of an IP address at IP-Details: Your IP Address . It displays the ISP, Location, Latitude and Longitude of any domain or IP address. The important of all is it has the codings to be added in your website which will show the IP address of visitors to your website. Get the coding and find the ip addresses of all those who visit your website.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All! I'm doing a project for a class and I need a "Software Professional" to interview. If you're willing to help, we don't need to interview right now. All...
Hi CEans, Before I put down my crazy thoughts (don't look for sense pls), let me ask, how many of us have heard about stories of reincarnation and how many...
Indian entrepreneurs will be delighted to know this. Infosys chief mentor & co-founder, Mr. N.R. Murthy has sold 800,000 shares, or 0.13% of the company. Total value of the shares...
US bank customer Dalton Chiscolm could learn on Friday if he is one step closer to becoming the world's first ever billion-trillionaire. Mr Chiscolm sued Bank of America in Manhattan's...
The day has arrived at last...😛 if you are wondering what it is... after 3 whole months of wait, and times of lull i am at last posting my 100th...