Computer networks

Hello CEans
what is meant by IP address of switch,and port number and how does it works??please explain

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    What is a wwitch?Did you mean witch?
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    sorry brother....it's switch.....i wrongly written it as wwitch...but now currected after editing
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    An IP address is a 32-bit number allocated to a network location.There are 4 classes of IP addresses-Class A,Class B,Class C, Class D.Actually we have even Class E but that is for future expansion & is not currently used on IP networks. Any IP address is divided into two parts-Network ID & Host ID. The network ID decides the level of sub-networks you can have according to a particular class.More the no. of bits in a network ID more is the no. of computers you can have on a higher level. For branching out multiple connections from a host we need a switch.But since the data packets have an IP header in which the IP address of the destination host is stored it has to be routed to the proper switch.Since this switch is occupying a node in the network it has to be assigned an IP address.
  • jessiehilty
    jessiehilty
    A computer network often simply referred to as a network, is a group of computer and devices interconnected by communications channels that facilitate communications among users and allows users to share resources. Networks may be classified according to a wide variety of characteristics. Thanks for sharing...

A port on a switch is where you can connect your device [​IMG]

what do you want to know exactly?
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    durga
    switch is a layer 2 network device.
    A port on a switch is where you can connect your device [​IMG]

what do you want to know exactly?
    I exactly wanted to know the uses of switches and port number in networking...
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    are you familiar with hubs? Hubs sebd the data onto all the ports except on the port it recieves, but switches are a little more intelligent. When I say Layer 2 network elements, it can be deduced that we are talking about mac IDS of computer. So consider your LAN, and you ahve a switch with 4 ports , you recieve a packet destined to a computer on port 4, switch looks up its internal tables to deduce where the mac address of the computer 4 is located , and forwards it according.We dont call it routing as routing is generally done at L3.
    Ports are where the devices connected to, another advantage of using ports is creation of virtual LANs

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am very interested in doing image processing projects using Matlab. How do I go about learning them???I know some basic Matlab. I will be very happy if someone could...
I just saw the thread on Crazy T-shirt Contest held in 2008.Here I have designed one hope you like this. T-shirt Front :My Crazy Heart is enough to become an...
Which are the softwares used for ELECTRICAL NETWORKS??? Hey Friends, Please suggest me some software and if you have any manual u can provide it here too...... Regards, VIPUL
Hey Friends, Please help me in deciding which network to use at my Home Group. Give me your suggestion Please. Regards, Vipul
Hey Friends, How the gears are casted for any machine??? Regards, VIPUL