Computer Hangs Abruptly

Every time i boot my computer, it runs for a while and all of a sudden just hangs. And after i restart, it works properly. What might be the problem and solution to it. please help me....

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Check your RAM usage and also post your RAM size here

Also tell more about your Computer specification here. Do run Chkdisk utility file for better results
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The possibilities could be many. You'll have to provide us with the exact sequence, any specific operations, error messages etc. so that we can help you diagnose and fix the problem. As #-Link-Snipped-# said, you should check if your RAM; tell us your system configuration.

I'd also recommend performing a thorough check of your system for any malware (virus, trojans etc.) by a trusted antivirus.
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    Conqueror
    Check your RAM usage and also post your RAM size here

Also tell more about your Computer specification here. Do run Chkdisk utility file for better results
    processor: intel(R)Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz(2 CPUs),~3.0Ghz
    RAM:3GB DDR2

is this enough.. or do i need to state something more??? and yes, am using win 7 professional.

and The_Big_K: no such error messages or any specific operation. The cursor just stops, the keyboard doesn't work. whatever windows i am working on, the same is displayed but the only thing is that nothing can be done but to reboot!!
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    I have a suggestion. may be it is the problem of virus or malware as #-Link-Snipped-# told.
    Format your system and re install window . If u will find same problem after re installing O.S then it means there is a hardware issue
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    dhruba sunuwar
    Every time i boot my computer, it runs for a while and all of a sudden just hangs. And after i restart, it works properly. What might be the problem and solution to it. please help me....
    Most PC hangs/Freezes due to "overheating" or Hard disk problem.(But as OS loads, I don't think it's HD problem)

Even RAM can be the problem like #-Link-Snipped-# said. I suggest you to open the Cabinet, unmount the RAM chip - clean it with cotton or wool cloth - remount it.

Even if problem exists, try using any Antivirus if you're windows user & check the status.

Even now problem exists, then I believe it's "Over-heating" nothing much.Add extra fan to cabinet directed towards Motherboard.
    Or cheapest way is to open one-side of Cabinet & use table fan 😀
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    Troll_So_Hard
    Most PC hangs/Freezes due to "overheating" or Hard disk problem.(But as OS loads, I don't think it's HD problem)

Even RAM can be the problem like #-Link-Snipped-# said. I suggest you to open the Cabinet, unmount the RAM chip - clean it with cotton or wool cloth - remount it.

Even if problem exists, try using any Antivirus if you're windows user & check the status.

Even now problem exists, then I believe it's "Over-heating" nothing much.Add extra fan to cabinet directed towards Motherboard.
    Or cheapest way is to open one-side of Cabinet & use table fan 😀

it's definitely not an antivirus issue because i am using a licensed Kaspersky antivirus. As #-Link-Snipped-# said i have formatted my PC too but still the problem persists. And i have tried cleaning the RAM chip too.
    @Troll_So_Hard= you might be right but what actually happens is that after i reboot my PC, right after it hangs, it works perfectly fine for as long as i use. Then the next time when i boot my PC, after 15-20 mins it hangs again and eventually i have to reboot!! so, what might be an explanation for that???

and one more thing, a smell like that of a just burnt wire, comes from my PC, not sure from which part of it !!! :/
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    dhruba sunuwar
    one more thing, a smell like that of a just burnt wire, comes from my PC, not sure from which part of it !!! :/
    Ok, it's nothing but overheating. Whenever PC overheats it will hang & might damage the hardware. When current is halted the semiconductor will cool down. So, when again you pass current it will heat again.
    Thus to maintain temperature cooling is required which is done by fan.

CPU & GPU has fan mounted on the circuit so to maintain cool temperature.

So check whether processor fan working or not.

If it's working then buy one more fan (it is available in market) & mount it.

But before buying external fan try to be sneaky & see which part's burning.
    It can be either SMPS or wire connected to it.

In short :
    Either SMPS is short (which I don't think cuz if it's short then pc won't even start)
    Or
    CPU fan not working & thus requires repair of CPU fan or extra fan (keeping extra fan in cabinet is thus recommended so if CPU fan stops working the external fan can cooldown the system)
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    dhruba sunuwar
    it's definitely not an antivirus issue because i am using a licensed Kaspersky antivirus. As #-Link-Snipped-# said i have formatted my PC too but still the problem persists. And i have tried cleaning the RAM chip too.
    @Troll_So_Hard= you might be right but what actually happens is that after i reboot my PC, right after it hangs, it works perfectly fine for as long as i use. Then the next time when i boot my PC, after 15-20 mins it hangs again and eventually i have to reboot!! so, what might be an explanation for that???

and one more thing, a smell like that of a just burnt wire, comes from my PC, not sure from which part of it !!! :/
    Ok if u r sure of not a virus problem then it is due to faulty hardware or over heating as #-Link-Snipped-# has told. my suggestion is first check the power supply.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Uninstall the ram modules clean them and install them back, if not then reinstall mobo properly, check the cpu fan is functioning properly also check the cmos battery if the voltage is low or the bios might need to be updated.
    If everything's fine clean install windows and scan for viruses.
    Best thing you can do to know if its hardware problem, go to bios and leave the machine as it is in bios now check if it hangs in bios, or else boot pc from any bootable cd live hirens boot or linux bootable and check if pc hangs, then sure its hardware problem for sure.
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    pradeep.pawar
    Uninstall the ram modules clean them and install them back, if not then reinstall mobo properly, check the cpu fan is functioning properly also check the cmos battery if the voltage is low or the bios might need to be updated.
    If everything's fine clean install windows and scan for viruses.
    Best thing you can do to know if its hardware problem, go to bios and leave the machine as it is in bios now check if it hangs in bios, or else boot pc from any bootable cd live hirens boot or linux bootable and check if pc hangs, then sure its hardware problem for sure.
    thanx for the detail procedure... i really appreciate that... but the problem was in the SMPS..as i changed it, no such problm has occured so far!!!!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well what problem was there in the SMPS was it a serious issue or a minor glitch DO post so we can also avoid this scenario easily and also troubleshoot the same condition
    dhruba sunuwar
    thanx for the detail procedure... i really appreciate that... but the problem was in the SMPS..as i changed it, no such problm has occured so far!!!!
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    dhruba sunuwar
    SMPS prob behind hanging, heard and saw no display issue with smps, might be the capacitor in smps or the transformer would have gone bad, fine no probs now good buddy👍
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    before i had internet connection in my computer it never hung. but as i connected internet, it hangs and as i restart it it becomes completely normal. my computer hangs 20-30 min after i boot my computer. i use a licensed antivirus, so don't think its a virus issue. what might be the problem and solution to it...any body please help!
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    Conqueror
    Well what problem was there in the SMPS was it a serious issue or a minor glitch DO post so we can also avoid this scenario easily and also troubleshoot the same condition
    i don't know what the problem was but as i changed it,it worked.
    but now the same problem persists and i don't understand what the real problem is...!!!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    It seems some kind of Malware attack

Try scan your computer using this

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    goyal420

#-Link-Snipped-#
    thanks.. i'll give it a try!!!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    You need an anti-spyware like Spybot Search & Destroy and you might consider which site you are visiting and what files you are downloading ☕
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    You need to configure your firewall and user agent settings. It seems important. Other than that, it is sure that your computer has become a part of the botnet chain. Just setup your firewall and see if the issue solves
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    goyal420

#-Link-Snipped-#
    scanning with "anti-malware", as u suggested, didn't work!!
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    Nayan Goenka
    You need to configure your firewall and user agent settings. It seems important. Other than that, it is sure that your computer has become a part of the botnet chain. Just setup your firewall and see if the issue solves
    i have turned on the windows firewall. and still the problem persists! what now?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    dhruba sunuwar
    i have turned on the windows firewall. and still the problem persists! what now?
    Setting up firewall doesn't only mean turning it on. Set the advanced option to null reply to packet requests. But as you earlier stated that the errors were after internet connection, I speculated if Firewall could resolve it. But if it still persists, there must be an issue with the hardware.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    dhruba sunuwar
    What is the problem you're encountering BTW ?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    What is the problem you're encountering BTW ?
    Ask about wild guesses, hes a link in chain of Botnet network, in that case needs to format computer since we don't know the impact of the attack. There maybe an issue with his LAN card or RAM. Maybe an issue with the heat-sink above the processor. Maybe an issue with logical drive allotment on his HDD. Maybe a lot of spywares / adware. And countless other reasons. Unless we see the computer, not easy to determine.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    dhruba sunuwar
    scanning with "anti-malware", as u suggested, didn't work!!
    Which windows operating system are you using?
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    pradeep.pawar
    Which windows operating system are you using?
    windows 7 ultimate
  • lal
    lal
    When some thing like that happened with me a long time ago, the culprits were the aged damaged capacitors on the mother-board. I could see the electrolytic capacitors leaking. Replacing those extended the life a bit. But by that time the pc configuration had become obsolete and I updgraded.

But, in your case, if freezing happens only when connected to the internet it could be some other reason as mentioned in previous posts.

Other wise you may try cleaning ram and ram slots, replacing ram with another one and test, check for damaged capacitors or even clean the heat sinks!
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    dhruba sunuwar
    windows 7 ultimate
    Ok.
    Just try this, uninstall motherboard, remove cpu fan and processor and reinstall then back also clean the motherboard and cpu fan.
    Check whether your cpu or motherboard bridges or any IC is not getting overheated might be some overheating problem for sure.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

anyone who has a doubt whether u should go for cdac / seed / any other courses share your views
Can anyone share to me the analysis and design process of a multistory building? I know the theories and concepts but I don't know the actual process of designing. Load...
Hello everybody, i am having problem in installing omnet++ on window 7. I have downloaded it from site and saved on the C drive and then unzipped it, and then...
i forgot to eject DVD from drive before shutting it down... and now Cpu does not work..... what to do???????
LCDs are made up of millions liquid cells & around dozens of layers like : glare reducer, polarizer,etc.. Due to such layers, the LCDs aren't capable to illuminate as desired....