Cognizant Pune Asks Employees To Pay For Parking

The IT services major company, Cognizant Pune, is now charging for facilities it should otherwise provide to employees for free. The employees will now have to pay Rs. 25/- per day for two wheelers and Rs. 50/- for four wheelers parked in its premises.

According to the plan about first 300 vehicles will be allowed to enter free and thereafter, every vehicle will be charged.

What's your take on this?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    If they are doing it for making money, its bad.

If intention is to push employees to use shared vechicles / car pools or public transport in order to save fuel and environment its very good initiative. However, in that case company should provide transportation (Pick and drop) at a very very low cost or may be free of cost.

At NCR, Pune, Banglore, Bombay there are number of companies that have started charging employees for parking or they have issued a notice that they will start charging very soon.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    See, sharing a vehicle to travel to & from the office is always a good idea - but it seldom works. Its highly unlikely that the project mates live in the same location so that they can fix their office timings. Especially in IT industry, working hours vary (mostly) according to the project timings.

If the company fixes its work hours [ say Morning 8 - Evening 5 ] and follows them strictly, then maybe people can think about vehicle sharing.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    oh! was it free all this while?? :rollingeyes:. Its all paid here. 10$ a for 8 hours for permanent employees and 20$ (i think) for contractors.
    nevertheless- be the motive money or not- it will bring down traffic jams/number of cars on roads . the calculation becomes simple right? parking+petrol + hours long wait in traffic = better take public transport. ๐Ÿ˜›

yes sharing works only when strict time tables are followed. But not needed that people be from same project ๐Ÿ˜›, you can advertise for a partner and some one might respond who so ever says close by
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    yes sharing works only when strict time tables are followed. But not needed that people be from same project ๐Ÿ˜›, you can advertise for a partner and some one might respond who so ever says close by
    Well, you may find a partner from your area; but how'd you match with his/her timings? As I said, it works when the company follows strict timings.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    But then for parking if they make money it doesn't sound good.Even though if they can use shared vehicles but it cannot suit all their needs.Say if the company follows strict timings also if there is an emergency call for an employee in the afternoon from home and that he was far enough from the company then it will be a great pain at that time.Either he should wait for a call taxi or hire an auto nearby to reach home.Other than that sharing has many good things!
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    The_Big_K
    The IT services major company, Cognizant Pune, is now charging for facilities it should otherwise provide to employees for free. The employees will now have to pay Rs. 25/- per day for two wheelers and Rs. 50/- for four wheelers parked in its premises.

According to the plan about first 300 vehicles will be allowed to enter free and thereafter, every vehicle will be charged.

What's your take on this?
    one more reason why they are doing this could be to get employees arrive on time at the campus, else why the 300 early bird limit ?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    optimystix
    one more reason why they are doing this could be to get employees arrive on time at the campus, else why the 300 early bird limit ?
    I think this is the reason.
    And a try to reduce the number of vehicles(if sharing is possible for them) to protect our environment as CB said.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If a company wants to force employees to come early, they may program their attendance systems to mark 'half-day-leave' to all the employees who arrive late. Why charge for parking?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Cognizant is more concerned on pollution probably!
    In the last year they have developed a application called "Car Pooling Application" which is an intranet application which is integrated with Google maps!(may be!)
    It has some features which helps in car pooling!
    So that might be the reason!

But allowing the first 300?? may be managers arrive early ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Vco

hello. please anyone help me with the voltage controlled oscillator circuits alongwith the components used being specified clearly.
I read an article that said companies pay their employees for their time and not for the value they create. I don't know whether this is true or not; but...
Can we use steam to defrost a spiral freezer from -35 degree C to +20 degree C
difference b/w knocking of c.i. & s.i. engine...........๐Ÿ˜
i wanna ask do embedded C and microprocessor programming really help us if we are interested in ?๐Ÿ˜• to industry related electronic;-)