Coders Challenge - Should we have it on CrazyEngineers?

As most of you know CE Community runs on Xenforo platform. I was wondering if we can have something like a "Coding Marathon" or "Programming Challenge" for developers here on CE to develop some add-on.

We will give out an idea for the add-on with the desired input and output pages and set a time of say 10 or 15 days. Those who develop and submit the add-on, a competition will be run between their add-ons. The one that gets the maximum votes shall win a prize! ๐Ÿ˜€

Just breezing through the idea and asking for suggestions. Want to see a headcount of the number of people who will be interested in this activity. If the number is good, we can develop this idea further.

What say you?

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I would vote "YES", we should have it.. !

PS: Could not participate because of limited knowledge ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    addon for xenforo?? but it is paid everyone won't have access of xenforo unless you go with illegal ways?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Interesting idea Ankita !
    Manish Goyal
    addon for xenforo?? but it is paid everyone won't have access of xenforo unless you go with illegal ways?
    Oh really ! this will be the issue. Is it possible to provide limited day license key or something like that for those who want to take a part in the challange?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes. Biggie brought it to my notice later yesterday. No open source. We might have to come up with a simple PHP add-on concept to make this work. We can just link to the add-on or app (whatever we call it) from the apps page.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes. Biggie brought it to my notice later yesterday. No open source. We might have to come up with a simple PHP add-on concept to make this work. We can just link to the add-on or app (whatever we call it) from the apps page.
    I have a suggestion if addon needs to be interfaced with CE then you can just enable xenforo API and implement the functionality you want, this way developer would have freedom to develop addon in any language you want
  • Aadit Kapoor
    Aadit Kapoor
    YES!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The API option has been kept open but we first want to establish a few systems in place. We'd definitely want all our fellow CEans to utilise the platform and build small applications for others to use. For example, with the API in place; someone could quickly code a units converter or a exam rank predictor et al. The possibilities are limitless.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For example, with the API in place; someone could quickly code a units converter or a exam rank predictor et al. The possibilities are limitless.
    Sorry didn't get you
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Manish Goyal
    Sorry didn't get you
    The ability to give developers a way to develop any addon (or web-app) on CrazyEngineers; using our existing database. Similar to what Facebook offers. It's little premature at this stage; but hopefully we'll go there.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    yes I know was confused with "a units converter or a exam rank predictor" Exam Rank Predictor?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yeah, I got it what you want...!

But for exam Rank predictor, it needs lot more than coding... really, and that too CE being a Global Engineering platform, we've to include many universities...

filling in the database values would take a lot of time... may be people can do it in groups.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I think we need to collect data of previous year result for a certain exam and then we need to develop a algorithm that will make a guess for student rank based on marks he is expecting this year
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ^ There's better app ideas than those in the bag. But let us only out them when the contest goes live, which I believe will take a while!
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    When should I start?๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Manish Goyal
    I think we need to collect data of previous year result for a certain exam and then we need to develop a algorithm that will make a guess for student rank based on marks he is expecting this year
    No need to have a guess thing, simply based on previous rank, we can predict.

But the part I hate most in this is actually filling in the database... seriously.. ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ‘€
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Yes ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The response here is overwhelming! *happy tears*

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Apple World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC 2014) is just a few days away and the rumours that Apple will make big announcements on the home automation front are popping...
Sapience Analytics is a Pune-based analytics start-up founded in 2009 by Shirish Deodhar, Madhukar Bhatia, Swati Deodhar and Hemant Joshi. The company has developed a software tool designed to gain...
Please refer to the picture below. OX- Shows the top supporting frame. XY- It is the part which contains a membrane and does to and fro motion to blow air....
A team of mechanical engineering professors at the Brigham Young University have developed a super-hydrophobic (or waterproof) surface that is capable of bouncing the droplet of water like a ball...
A team of engineering researchers at Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Technology and Advanced Materials has come up with a project called EU SARISTU (short for Smart Intelligent Aircraft Structures) that...