Codec Help

Is windows media player itself a codec or codecs are installed in it.Like VLC is a codec,Are they different from file formats?

Replies

• slashfear
    slashfear
    Hey Buddy (what ever your name is 😀 ),

The codec used by windows media player is different from the one used by VLC, because the codec provided by windows will work only with windows media player...

-Arvind
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Thanks for your answer.Please let me know are file formats different from codecs?
  • jkj
    jkj
    FIle formats are containers that store audio/video information. The codec is computer program (compressor & decompressor) to actually encode the frames.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    "a format is a document (the standard), a way of storing data, while a codec is a program (an implementation) which can read or write such files"- Codec

as far as I know, WMP is a multimedia player that uses codecs to play the media files. It comes with some built in codecs but more can be added too.

and are u sure that VLC is a codec and not a media player ? can u please explain ?

For additional information check
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Thanks for your reply,now I am clear about file formats and codecs.

optimystix
    and are u sure that VLC is a codec and not a media player ? can u please explain ?
    Thats the real doubt for me actually,I am not able to differentiate between media players and codecs.😔
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    codecs are programs that manipulate the media files to make them viewable or hearable on a computer system. Media players such as Windows Media Player (WMP) or VLC use these codecs to compress or decompress the media files and make them presentable to the users.

just like every standard file format such as doc,cpp,pdf etc needs a particular software to handle them and make them usable to the users, similarly the media players (using codecs, each of which carry information for particular type of media file only) helps to play the media files.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Thank You Opti,It was really helpful.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Html Forms in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Image Maps in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of CGI Scripts in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Technologies in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here... [video=youtube;wSm3sKm7TxY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSm3sKm7TxY&feature=bf_next&list=PL04D5787E247DC324&index=20[/video]
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of PERL in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here...