code to recover when the partition is accidently formatted??

hello..
some days before I accidently formatted a partition in my hard disk in which i had installed UBUNTU.
after doing this when I retsart, my system failed to reboot, although i had windows installed on other separate partition, then to recover from this i had reinstalled windows!!!

i want to know, why all this happened??
and also is there any code or any other procedure to recover from such things, without reinstalling the operating system ???😕

Replies

• optimystix
    optimystix
    u have deleted ur master boot record[MBR] it seems and therefore it was unable to read MBR and understand from where to load the operating system[in this case, windows].fixing it with recovery console would have solved the prob.
    u need to type fixmbr in recovery console. no data loss(though there is one bug here about the partition)
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    optimystix
    u need to type fixmbr in recovery console
    ok thanx,
    well why the bootmgr was unable to boot windows ??
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    imnitsy
    ok thanx,
    well why the bootmgr was unable to boot windows ??
    this is a common problem with people tryin to dual boot with ubuntu and wndows. not that there is a problem but unless done in proper way it can cause the mbr to become corrupt.

in ur case , when u installed unbuntu, the MBR was over written by the GRUB bootloader to include ubuntu along with windows. now when u deleted ubuntu, the grub was gone too and it had earlier modified mbr so the mbr left got corrupt and did not know where the windows installation was(this info was with GRUB bootloader)
    fixing mbr with recovery console will install the default mbr and let it know the location of the windows too boot.
    but since the mbr set now is the default one therefore when you go to format with a windows xp disc, on the screen where it shows the diff partitions, u will notice theres only a single partition C with windows on it. Even though u mite be having other partitions such as d,e,f but it wont show them. thus a person wanting to modify his partitions will have a problem.that was the bug i was talking about

tell me if am confusing
    correct me if am wrong:smile:
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    thanks a lot!!!!😁
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    u are welcome 😀
    its a problem many people commit. its better to shed a light on it and help people avoid it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, Can any one say where can i find International Presentation[Paper presentation] Events for Mechanical Engineering Department I know i can get events happening inside India but i need events...
i am going for my 2 months industrial training but i am confused wheather i should go for some microcontroller course(8051 or something) or for training ... which one of...
Source: Just Dial Sues Askme.in | High Court Order | Infomedia18 | Online Local Search Engine - Oneindia News In a suit filed by Just Dial against Infomedia 18, Just...
This thread gets its inspiration from following post on Kidakaka's post: Link: Chetan Bhagat and Integers at Who? Me?? PS: Kidakaka's blog is highly recommended. One night at a call...
anybody having any idea about how electrical siganl of high amplitude of KVA can be transimited wirelessly to large distance