Coca Cola + Mentos Experiment

This is unbelievable! Put 3-4 Mentos chips in the bottle of Coca Cola & Hurray! You get a big fountain!

Check out this YouTube Video! - #-Link-Snipped-#

I'm scared! What about you?

-The Big K-

Replies

• Rocker
    Rocker
    This is terrifying! Coca Cola's reaction was "This is an amusing experiment and it does not go with the (Diet) coke brand" ! :x No doubt why I hate carbonated drinks!

[โ€‹IMG] Coca Cola sucks!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    It works even with Pepsi! And maybe, just maybe other carbonated drinks too. We still have to try it out ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Did anyone really try it?

I'm curious to know the chemical reaction which takes place. Chemical Engineers, can you enlighten us?

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    I had seen the pictures in email. Not sure if Pepsi too, produces a similar fountain ๐Ÿ˜ !

Keep away from Pepsi & Coke and enjoy health ๐Ÿ˜ !
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    It happens for all carbonated drinks and is not a chemical reaction.

As #-Link-Snipped-#, explains, "The Mentos effect has nothing to do with the inside of the Mentos and everything to do with the outside." The candy's shell is pocked with little nooks and crannies the beverage's carbon dioxide molecules are immediately drawn to, and the confection's relatively large surface area provides infinitely more such nooks and crannies (nucleation sites) than, say, an M&M would.

As to what happens when carbonated beverage encounters Mentos, when dropped into a two-liter bottle of Diet Coke, a roll of the sweet works to produce an impressive geyser of brown froth that will shoot about 20 feet into the air (although some of these pressurized fountains have attained even greater height). Diet cola of any manufacture is regarded as the liquid of choice for creating a "Mentos eruption" or "Mentos effect" because the drink's brown color serves to make the reaction much more starkly dramatic in all its explosive glory, and diet versions of sodas don't leave the same sticky residue that their sugared counterparts do, an aspect well worth considering when contemplating spraying a wide area that you may afterwards be called upon to clean. Plus, some folks swear diet sodas make for higher geysers.
    No need for chemical engineers for a 9th grade phenominon ๐Ÿ˜€

And bytheway there is a rumor online about a brazilian boy who gets killed by the combinatin. It is not true. Moreoever Pepsi and Coke are pretty safe if consumed in normal amounts, excess of anything is harmful.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's better ๐Ÿ˜‰

No need for chemical engineers for a 9th grade phenominon :smile:
    I was only trying to motivate Chemical Engineers to come forward and post ๐Ÿ˜‰

We have nada threads related to Chemical Engineering ๐Ÿ˜•

-The Big K-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

int g=300*300/300; cout<<"g="<
i want to design a low power radio circuit,please give me some ideas.
Hi CEans! I wonder if we have bike freaks here. I'm undecided between Hero Octane 26T & Firefox Thunder. Any experiences to share regarding aluminum bikes? -The Big K-
Microsoft is ready with yet another oprating system VISTA, that would be out by Jan 30. So what do you think how better it would be?? Pour Comments!!
This short guide about 6 stroke engine discusses its working principle, firing order, advantages and disadvantages and compares it with 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines.