CMOS invertor

Hi,
I know the basic working of a CMOS invertor. what I don't understand is how it works in the forbidden region. I'll ask my doubt with help of an example.

(W/L)p=5*(W/L)n
Un=3Up(pronounce U=myu)
Vthn=0.7v=|Vthp|
Vdd=5v
Suppose at present my invertor output is 0v. I give a input voltage of 2.7v. What will be the value to which my output will settle.
Repeat the same question with input=0.8v(the difference it will create is that the pmos will be initially in the linear region now.)

From what I understand, in any of the case , pmos will try to charge the capacitor to 5v while the nmos will try to discharge it to 0v. So, I believe that the output will be 0v if the resistance of nmos is less than that of pmos and the output will remain at 5v otherwise.
But, the resistance of a mosfet is not constant but varies with the current.
Also, voltage characterstics of a invertor shows that of intermediate values such as 2.7v, the output is not 0v or 5v , but actually lies somewhere in between.
So, basically I am confused. Can anybody help?

Thanx in advance!!

Replies

• RRITESH
    RRITESH
    Post your schematics, for better understanding.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Letter from Mr. Banta Singh to Mr. Bill Gates Subject: Problems with my new computer. ๐Ÿ˜ Dear Mr. Bill Gates, We bought a computer for our home but found some...
I am using this code but it's not working please help me..... <%@ page import="java.sql.*"%> <%@ page import="java.util.*"%> <%! String update,delete,edit,username,userid,designation,platform,salary;%> <% update=request.getParameter("update"); delete=request.getParameter("delete"); edit=request.getParameter("edit"); userid=request.getParameter("userid"); username=request.getParameter("username"); designation=request.getParameter("designation"); platform=request.getParameter("platform"); salary=request.getParameter("salary");...
Orkut (read Google) understands that letting users 'Like' other users content is the way to go ahead in the game. Inspired from Facebook's like button concept but not blatantly copying...
Dear All, I am Satyatej,completed M.Sc(Tech) Electronics & Instrumentation in July 2010 with 9.83 credits out of 10. I am also completed courses like PLC,Scada,Labview. I want to join in...
I've been thinking of changing the name of CE Reviews section to CE Gadgets (or something similar) to widen the scope of the section and also get CEans to contribute...