Cloud Computing

Hi CEans,

The term cloud computing has become one of the hottest talked about topic.
Technology is growing fast.It all began with the concept of distributed computing.
We had cluster computing, then we had grid computing and now we have moved on to cloud. Ultimate objective was to increase the computing power thereby perform voluminous tasks within a shorter interval of time.

In simpler terms, cloud is all about getting anything anywhere (internet service)..Clouds promote the concept of leasing remote resources rather than buying own hardware.Hardware, software and even the entire infrastructure could be provided as a service on a cloud.

Clouds eliminate the physical overhead cost of adding new hardware such as compute nodes to clusters or supercomputers and the financial burden of permanent over-provisioning of occasionally needed resources.

The main reason for we being moved from grid to cloud is that resources are unreliable in a grid.We have to perform the task of maintaining those resources, adjust with the dynamism exihibited by them.

Virtualization is another closely related concept to this cloud computing. We have various corporates like amazon and google providing us with cloud services.

I just request all ceans to share their views on this topic. Even posting a basic definition regarding this would help all of us in learning this new upcoming technology.

Replies

• Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    Hi ..
    please go through this voiCE article on cloud computing

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    @cooldudeiet Yeah i had gone through..I guess you all don't mind discussing it here..Still there is a lot more in this field to be explored and learnt.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    ya sure miniy ๐Ÿ˜€
  • crazyce
    crazyce
    I think google docs also one type of cloud computing ?
    can you give me some more example?
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    Google docs is basically an application that you access via your web browser. Google Docs save your files in the cloud or google server where they are backed up It's a hosted application, or "software as a service" (SaaS); it's just hosted in "the cloud" and it's running someone else's application, not yours.

As far i know, a simply hosted service in a cloud could not be termed as a cloud service. There should be some amount of dynamism and on demand elasticity. You should be able to run your applications in the cloud rather than consuming some other application.

Even your mail can be cited as an example for this. You have your google apps engine that enables you to run and host web applications on google infrastructure.
  • gizmotech
    gizmotech
    Hello,

cloud computing is my area of interest and I have tried to gather as much knowledge I can on this and I am very fascinated about the same. I collected and modified a presentation from the net to give a few lectures on Cloud Computing in my college. The link to the presentation is: #-Link-Snipped-#

Below are a few links from where you can learn more about Cloud Computing and also the places where I gathered my information from.

https://blogs.zdnet.com/Hinchcliffe/?p=488&tag=btxcsim]#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    cloudcomputing.sys-con.com
  • gizmotech
    gizmotech
    The Wikipedia page is a good starting point for those of us who are completely new to the concept.

Cloud Computing
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    Have you tried setting up a cloud using any of the available open source middlewares ?
  • gizmotech
    gizmotech
    miniy
    Have you tried setting up a cloud using any of the available open source middlewares ?
    I am afraid I haven't. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    @gizmotech: Hey no issues. I just wanted to know whether you have tried setting up a cloud. Hope i will do it sometime in near future.
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Do you know that CE is running on a Cloud...!!!๐Ÿ˜€
  • gizmotech
    gizmotech
    nsiva007
    Do you know that CE is running on a Cloud...!!!๐Ÿ˜€
    Yeah yeah...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Here's one more, ONCE IN LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY brought to you by CrazyEngineers! Ask questions to the Mr. Mark Chapman - The Chief Engineer of Project Bloodhound SSC (super sonic...
hi friends iam in 3rd year 2nd sem i wanna do a project on solar energy can one tell me how can approch and how can do it. i wanna...
Official Announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...an-chief-engineer-project-bloodhound-ssc.html Ask your questions in this thread. PS: Questions Only. No spamming.
can anyone say about IES and its qualifications and neccesary needs to attempt it
File sharing can be painful. There are tons of services out there but they are cluttered with unwanted stuff. There's a new service, called 'ge.tt' (ge.tt ) that's aiming to...