Classification of Operating Systems

hello..
i want to categories o.s. i know there is many way of classify os. according to users,interface,..,...etc?
it's a example or also the categories of os. like window XP, window 7,ubuntu,linux.??

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    joseph siomn
    hello..
    i want to categories o.s. i know there is many way of classify os. according to users,interface,..,...etc?
    it's a example or also the categories of os. like window XP, window 7,ubuntu,linux.??
    You should be more specific about the criteria on which u want to categorize.๐Ÿ˜€
    window XP, window 7,ubuntu,linux
    etc. are not categories, but different Operating Systems itself.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure why you want to categorise? Could you tell us a bit more about that? Every Operating System has its own GUI, core, capabilities, hardware compatibility and so on. As Rahul69 mentioned, the names you mentioned are actually operating systems, not various 'categories' of operating systems.
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    okey,! i meantions window xp,window 7 as eg of os. i want to know i can also categories as i meantion.?โ€‹
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    joseph siomn
    okey,! i meantions window xp,window 7 as eg of os. i want to know i can also categories as i meantion.?
    Sorry, didn't get your question properly. I'm not sure how can operating systems be categorised on the basis of 'user interface' or 'users'. Could you tell us why are you categorising the operating systems? Once we know the reason, we might be able to guide you properly.
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    Okey!
    Bcs there single user os, multip task, eg window 7, xp. There is misunderstanding when somebody ask the type of os direct. I don't wat ll be the straight answer. There some book I read window 7, Linux, xp. Are placed on category of desktop. And network ..
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    Okey!
    Bcs there single user os, multip task, eg window 7, xp. There is misunderstanding when somebody ask the type of os direct. I don't wat ll be the straight answer. There some book I read window 7, Linux, xp. Are placed on category of desktop. And network ..
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I didn't get clear resolution on what you are asking, but from your last comment I assume that you wanna know that which OS is used for what purpose, Am I right ?

Let's assume that ^

- Linux :
    This is clone of Unix OS.Now screw the technical details & concentrate what's what used for.
    - Servers : 90% of world's servers run Linux. (All credit goes to century's 2nd best white hacker - Linus Torvalds for Kernel which is under GNU GPLv2.0 license)

Why Linux servers are used more ?
    - As it is OpenSource (means you can get/access source-code), you can modify the distro source & even Kernel source as per your use.You can change everything in Linux OS & make it work as you want by modifying source-code.
    - But Red Hat OS, do charges some amount for its OS.
    - Companies like : Google,Facebook & even Twitter runs on Linux.

In recent times, the Linux desktop users have increased - An example is Ubuntu.

"Google" is using Linux - so you can predict how awesome linux is.

- Mac OS X :
    It is Unix based OS(not entirely though - certain FreeBSD implementation - also POSIX) same like Linux, but it is closed source.(but there's nothing like init.d directory - maybe they've closed it too)
    - Apple's Mac OS X focuses largely on "Regular people" - which means it's more for "Desktop & laptop regular users(internet surfers & office works)".
    Apple has also released its Server - but I wonder who's dumb enough to use closed source as server ? ๐Ÿ˜

- Microsoft :
    It's DOS based Operating system.Microsoft has dominated entire OS world due to it's flexible & newbie friendly interface.Moreover, entire PC gaming industry rely on Windows.
    (Even though I am Linux user, sometimes I get jelly when Wine don't run some windows games)

Windows, same like Mac & Linux has it's Server - naming MS Server XX (XX represents number of year),some companies do use Microsoft servers - but due to proprietary license & cost of buying license (which is huge).Many companies have switched to Linux based servers.

In short,
    Linux - Hot favorite in Networking (Servers) & Geeks.
    Windows - Gamers,Regular users.
    Mac OS X - Rich Regular users.

OS X is like Mercedes comes with driver - looks beautiful,smooth & reaches at destination in time but extremely costly for everyday travellers.

Windows is like second hand car, torn seats,cracked lights - it's damn ugly, using windows it's not necessary that you'll reach destination in time & sometimes you won't even reach your destination ๐Ÿ˜‰

Linux is like Hot-Rod, Sexy - fast + you can do whatever you want, remove some parts today or join some more parts tomorrow - do whatever you want to do with it, no one gonna say "your warranty is void", but motto is "YOU HAVE TO RIDE ON YOUR OWN" ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    There are many criteria to categorize operating system, its depends upon your's need and nature of a particular O.S. There are many categories of O.S eg.
    1. Single user operating system
    2. Multiuser operating system.
    3. CUI based O.S
    4. GUI based O.S.
    5. Real time O.S
    6. MultiTasking and Single tasking O.S
    etc.
    Here XP is a multiuser O.S,and also a GUI based O.S as well as also a multitasking O.S
  • Altamash khan
    Altamash khan
    can anybody tell me how's an operating system does work.....?
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    An operating system (OS) is a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is a vital component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Altamash khan
    can anybody tell me how's an operating system does work.....?
    Check out this interesting link :
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • pknagar75
    pknagar75
    please sir ,how can i hide my oracle history in remote desktos............

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mechanical engineering(2nd year) student football biking become a good engineer and a responsible citizen of the country i just saw this site and found it interesting
i am confused dont know what sort of robo to make..... had made flipper but its pretty ineffective in competitions. wanna some suggestions on which type of design to go...
Every time i boot my computer, it runs for a while and all of a sudden just hangs. And after i restart, it works properly. What might be the problem...
anyone who has a doubt whether u should go for cdac / seed / any other courses share your views
Can anyone share to me the analysis and design process of a multistory building? I know the theories and concepts but I don't know the actual process of designing. Load...