circuit parameters

I am studying recently about the different circuit parameters like Z-parameters, Y parameters, H parameters. But I can't make out how the two port circuits are being made.

as for example, in case for h parameters why the input is taken as open circuit and why the output as short circuit????

which parameters can be applied to which type of circuits??

what is the logic used for making the Y-parameter two port circuit, or Z parameter two port circuit or h- parameter two port circuits???

Replies

• sayandev
    sayandev
    Getting offline now due to thunder outside.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey Sayandev,

All these parameters are only for simplification of all big circuits(e.g.: ladder circuits,FLIP FLOP Circuits,etc.,)

If you know the main formula is:
    V1= a1I2+ a2V2
    I1 = a3I2+ a4V2

Only the thing is answer is find out using different parameters.
    Instead of go on measuring all the circuit parameters,their resistances,inductances ans capacitances, This method is very useful.

In each circuit you are provided with only Input terminal and Output terminals.
    So for calculation of parameters, Instead of differentiation of circuit this method is used.
    All parameters you can apply to each and every circuit.
    Only the difference in accuracy this is actually in Practical.
    You will not get much difference in theory but when you will go for practical you will get the actual difference.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • sayandev
    sayandev
    suppose I am given a circuit. now how will I understand that which parameter it obeys?? is it Y parameter or Z parameter or h parameter???
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    A given circuit does not obey any parameters. Remember these are parameters..not laws that they obey a specific relation between the voltage & current. These parameters are the various values of the circuit input resistance, output impedance, voltage gain & current gain.
    According to the circuit conditions the nature of the parameters is decided. For example, in case of Z-parameters, the 2-port equations are in the termas of port voltages onthe LHS & currents on the RHS. This will give you all the values of impedances in the circuit. Similarly the Y-parameters,h-parameters & ABCD parameters are calculted.
    Also, why do we calculate these parameters?
    To calculate various circuit parameters of Transmission lines like the attenuation factor, the propagation factor. Transmission lines are used daily to transmit electric power to industrial & home applications. These long lines are broken down to singular elements & analyzed using 2-port theory. After studying those you will understand the relevance of these parameters.
  • sayandev
    sayandev
    then can u tell me why we use h-parameters in case of transistors, not z parameter or any other parameter. and why ABCD parameter for transmission lines. There must be some reason, what is that??
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Nice question!I can tell you about the h-paramaters. h-parameter equation is V1=h11V1 + h12V2 & I2=h21I1 +h22V2.
    The h-paramater model accounts for the internal input resistance of the transistor also. And according to the various conditions like input OPEN o/p SHORT the parameters like cuurent gain, voltage gain etc are determined. A Z-paramter model will not be able to give you all the parameters in a single pair of relations between the i/p & o/p. Hence h-parameters are used in case of a transistor. Also it is the best model for a transistor.
  • himakshetra
    himakshetra
    in y parameters problem .....
    if 1-1' port is short circuited then v1=0 then i1 will have high current for zero resistence but while problem solving in calculating y12=i1/v2 . i1=-i2*oppositresistence /total resistence....
    according to current division rule here i2 is total current bt according to short circuting here i1 want to be high current........?

y i2 is total currnt here........?

how can we see difference ...
    i want clear xplanations about short nd open circuiting .........
    and also calculations of resistances while short nd open circuited i mean how did we recongnice that resistances r parrelel nd series.........
  • jyotiprem bag
    jyotiprem bag
    in case of coversion from y para meter to z parameter or vic versa u can take it just opposte as lyk z=1/y!
    u have to find the inverse matrix for inversion!
    and to get about more info in open circuit or short circuit plz follow this links......
    Open Circuit
    Short Circuit
    and plz if u r not happy wid this answers plz say clearly u r problem!!!!!!!!!!!otherwise cann't help!
    thanks!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I'm currently doing my heat camera sensor project which will take an image when it detects a heat image. But the problem is, it can't take pictures at...
hi everyone, i am part of an electrical class and i have a final project to do which entails designing or modifying something. It is a written project and is...
Hi everyone out there.. Tomorrow airtel champions league is starting.. Every cricket fan must have opted his team... My team is Mumbai Indians.. I want you to comment on this...
Hello friend's, I want to know is there any speed difference between 4-Lock SD RAM and 2-Lock SD RAM. What is the reason that generally you find 4-Lock SD RAM...
What is PC100 specification..? Why it is developed..?? ๐Ÿ˜