China: The train that never stops at a station.

This was posted by kevinm in CR4 forum:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Damn thats so Innovative.😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Very good concept. If the train does not stop; is it cost & energy efficient? What about maintenance?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    crazily innovative , but few unanswered questions, like will the upper carriers be route specific?? :-s, i mean if I want to travel from A to B and the current trains destination is C, will the upper carriage be dedicated to destination C??, and more over the lower carriage , need not be passenger carrier only, i mean - the pasenger carriages can be the upper carriers and as when the route carrier comes along, this passenger c arrier is piggybacked :-|

PS:I know i confused many
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    This is just a concept, I really doubt if this concept can be and should be materialized.

Reason:
    1. I don't see any worth of that? Train not stopping ever (In another words, not stopping for few hours may be 20+); still its a train and running on track so it can not be very very fast (as compare to flight / bullet train that runs in magnetic environment / tunnel). So does that mean we are not saving time so effectively??
    2. If we are not saving time not so effectively, I want to understand what is the need to this innovation?? For me, Innovating something doesn't make any sense until and unless thats worthy
    3. Biggi, already put one of the tech issue, such as maintenance

I couldn't find any other video / pic of this innovation on internet other than given in the first post. Can anyone try to explain why this may be a great innovation and what is the need of it???

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think a lot depends on the length of the train. I'm not sure whether we've some information on how long the train & station is. I can see that the main concept behind this train is to make reduce the time of commute by eliminating the need to stop the train at every station. At the station, there are two sub-cars mounted on the train - one in the process of detaching itself and the other attaching itself. Looking purely from the time saving perspective - I think the idea is quite good.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    K is right.
    Even in India, the abominable time it takes for trains to go even short distances is because of the stops. Trains are huge masses in motion. Stupendous inertia. Stopping frequently not only wastes energy but also wastes time in decelerating and accelerating large masses.
    In the depicted concept, the passengers getting off at an intermediate stop move into the pod above. This gets detached at the station. However, it is travelling at the speed of the train and needs to be decelerated. This is not a major issue as the mass involved is small and regenerative braking can be used.
    The other question that arises is that the people getting onto the train at intermediate places may have to do it into another 'pod', which accelerates to the speed of the train and gets latched.
    Agreed, it sounds Crazy.
    Is not that what we are about?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Winners of the CE Grand Quiz Contest Are : 1st Position - CEan Optimysitx With 120 CE Coins. PRIZE MONEY OF - $120 ! --------------------------------------------------- 2nd Position - CEan...
A small presentation from CEans! https://crazyengineers6.co.cc/
Hi all, So, the grand, month long event is finally over, and I thought I'll just say something about my experience in this contest and also some suggestions, based on...
CEans, Today is CrazyEngineers' 6th foundation day. As you know, CE came to life on November 26, 2005. The CE Grand Quiz concluded today and we hope you all had...
are maggi noodles yummy? it's not the right question to ask here but i'm asking it just for fun 😒