China Domain Name Scam

This one is for the website owners. Don't panic if you get a mail like this one -

We are Shanghai Chooke Network Information Technology Co., Ltd, which is the domain name register center in China.I have something need to confirm with you.
We have received a formal application ,one company named "Monitec Holding Co., Ltd" applies for your domain names in Asia/China (like #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# )and the Internet keyword({your prime keyword}) on the internet July.29, 2009. We need to know the opinion of your company because the domain names and keyword may relate to the copyright of brand name on internet .
we would like to get the affirmation of your company,please contact us by telephone or email as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
Pat.tong​
Tel: +86-21-62416070
Fax: +86-21-62597835
#-Link-Snipped-#
Shanghai Chooke Network Information Technology Co., Ltd
Be assured that this is a fraud email & only meant to rob you with offers to protect you from the 'evil' folks.

Do not respond to such emails!

If anyone received similar mail, do share with us. It will help lot of webmasters.

Replies

• kashish0711
    kashish0711
    I receive at least 10 emails daily telling me that I won something like 100 Million dollars. lolz
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    kashish0711
    I receive at least 10 emails daily telling me that I won something like 100 Million dollars. lolz
    haha, i know what you're talking abt..i just deleted one such mail, claimed to be from microsoft!! said i had one $ 1.5 million!!

Usually gmail's spam filters are 99.9% effective, but this mail keeps slipping through!!
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Check this out

Sender: Microsoft Windows Live Inc. (notice@msn.com)
    Sent: 25 July 2009 15:59PM
    To: Kashish Malhotra (kashish****@hotmail.com)

Microsoft Award Team.
    Windows house, 4 Trent road
    Sutton, Greater. London SM1 4te.
    United Kingdom.

Dear Beneficiary,

This is to inform you that you have won a prize money of Five Hundred
    Thousand Great Britain Pound Sterlings(£500,000.00) for the month of
    March 2008 Lottery promotion which is organized by MICROSOFT LOTTERY INC
    & WINDOWS LIVE.

MICROSOFT WINDOWS collects all the email addresses of people that are
    active online, among the millions that subscribed to INTERNET we only
    select five people every Month as our winners through electronic
    balloting System without the winner applying,we congratulate you for
    being one of the person selected.

Contact him, please provide him with your batch number BATCH:
    YM09102XN and your reference number REF NO: YM35447XN
    You are also advised to provide him with the under listed
    information as soon as possible:

Claims Requirements:
    1.Name in full----------- 2.Address---------------------------
    3.Nationality------------- 4.Age--------------------------------
    5. *** --------------------- 6.Occupation------------------------
    7.Phone/Fax-------------- 8.Present Country--------------------
    9.Email Adress----------- 10. Batch And Reff Number---------

You are to Choose from any of your preferred mode for payment
    below
    1. Wire Transfer (Bank to Bank)
    2. Delivery of Certified Check of £500, 000.00GBP by a registered
    Courier Company.

(CONTACT EVENT MANAGER).
    Claims Agent: Sir Lenon Drill.
    Contact Email:eventmanagerdesk@hotmail.com
    Congratulations once more.
    Faithfully,
    Miss Gene Tree.
    Zone Co-ordinator.
    Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Award Promo. All Rights Reserved
    Believe me, when I first learned to make an email and then received such email, I fell for it and got
    the email printed and called the person but dad didn't allow me to use his bank acct, then the next day someone told me that these are fake. I felt like killing myself.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    yes, these nigerian scams can be pretty convincing..

by the way, look at the address - Windows House..hahaha!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hah, don't go off-topic, folks. This domain scam is supposed to have hit lot of web-sites.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    how will this chinese hosting scam email do anything to me or my acct if I own a website??
    We contact them good, suppose we called them, what can they do?? if they like ask my CC no. or password of course I know that companies never ask for such things so basically how??
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Here is a blog by a Mr Rumblepup, who almost got conned by the same good ol chinese domain registration company!! Its a good read!!

#-Link-Snipped-#

[EDIT]
    A quick whois search revealed that the website chooke.com is actually owned by Tucows.com!! While chooke.org.cn, chooke.com.cn, etc are registered to people in China..
    [/EDIT]
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    kashish0711
    I have won $100 Billion last week do you know....
    That's too spam 😀
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    kashish0711
    Check this out

Believe me, when I first learned to make an email and then received such email, I fell for it and got
    the email printed and called the person but dad didn't allow me to use his bank acct, then the next day someone told me that these are fake. I felt like killing myself.
    Mate i am getting a message from faniq.com as
    "[SIZE=+1]Last chance! Your private message from Andrew expires tonight"
    [/SIZE]from all of my friends mail id

FanIQ.com
    Your private message from Andrew will expire tonight at midnight.
    Click to read message
    Click to read private message
    Please read it or Andrew will think you ignored this 😔
    This message has been forwarded at the request of #-Link-Snipped-# block all emails from FanIQ, please click here.FanIQ is located at 604 mission St, Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This one is for the Quality Assurance Engineers on CE: I've seen that lot of people are not aware of the difference between load testing and stress testing. Can someone...
I'm sure we've lot of software QA engineers. I've realized (while teaching to a batch of students) that lot of people are not aware of the software QA concepts. Can...
Wondering whether we have any instrumentation engineers on CE. I've seen many registrations; but none active.
CE was launched on November 26, 2005 and we've a tradition of celebrating the day as "CrazyEngineers Day" This thread invites all the crazy, weird, great, awesome ideas about celebrating...
As suggested by admin, I am going to start a thread dedicated to the Software Testing. In this thread I will be explaining a few topics that may help a...