Chile Miners To Be Rescued Through Unconvnetional Drilling

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

33 miners are stuck inside a mine in Chile in area almost equal to a 1 BHK flat.

Dr Andrew Wetherelt, a senior lecturer in mining engineering at the University of Exeter, said Chile’s state-owned Codelco mining company is planning on using a massive Strata 950 ‘raise boring’ drill to carve a hole 66cm wide to reach the miners trapped under solid rock 700m below the surface.

The rescue team is drilling a pilot hole before finalizing the plan. The 5 August collapse of the mine’s main access shaft happened about 400m below the surface. This was above where the miners were working at the time. The group took refuge in a gallery approximately 688m below in an area that stretches about 2km long, which should leave enough space for the likely restless men to walk around.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends,,, now i am in 2nd year eee , i want to geet good marks in GATE,, so please guide me how to study, wen to , and which...
The "Seaswarm" robots, which were developed by a team from MIT's SENSEable City Lab, look like a treadmill conveyor belt that's been attached to an ice cooler. The conveyor belt...
Both XML and Database are used to read and write data but can any one explain me in brief difference between database and XML( keeping security issues aside)? I mean...
Can we do something such that we can reduce the gravitational force or counter the gravitational force? Does Gravitational force possibly have a positive and negative? a north and south?...
I have 2 os on my pc. One is ubuntu and the other is windows xp . Since my windows is failing to boot i tried repairing it . But...