Chemical result of burning rice straw

I was wondering what all problems can be faced in boilers in biomass plants which use rice straw as primary fuel. As I am not sure of the chemical reactions(read it as weak in chemistry), I request chemical engineers to share their views on this question. The boiler temperature is about 550deg centigrade. I also was successful in finding out the chemical composition of rice straw. What I got is as follows-
Fixed carbon-15.86%
Volatile matter-65.47%
Ash-18.67%
Composition of ash--
SiO2=74.67%
CaO-3.01%
MgO-1.75%
Na2O-0.96%
K2O=12.3%
I also read somewhere that rice straw has 0.12% of sulfur(I am not sure of that)
Kindly let me know the consequences of using rice straw in a boiler. Thank you for your efforts.

Replies

• Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Hi Ajit
    I think the biggest problems will be fly ash and soot. If it was my decision I would try it anyway. The sulfur seems a bit high and I think the analysis may be inaccurate.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I will be right back wit some more information and I will give you a few more data to chew on and thus answer my query more accurately.
    Thank you for your response.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aj_onduty
    I will be right back wit some more information and I will give you a few more data to chew on and thus answer my query more accurately.
    Thank you for your response.
    The biggest problem is the large volume of ash. However this is good silica and has a value.
    The trouble will be to control suspended particle pollution. You may have to set up an efficient flue gas washer and an ash collection and disposal system.
    Bioramani
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    efficient flue gas washer and an ash collection and disposal system.
    These things can be done. But What I was thinking is more innovative way of disposing ash. Not disposing, but using it for something productive. If it can be good enough, can we use this silica to produce glass? or something else? We can make cheaper glass, quality, well, you have to say about it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aj_onduty
    Not disposing, but using it for something productive. If it can be good enough, something else? We can make cheaper glass, quality, well, you have to say about it.
    Traditionally, tooth powder used to be made using the ash from rice husk. Sand is a far cheaper form of silica. We have to exploit the finer particle size of this ash. It may serve well as a reinforcement in silicone rubber in the place of the more expensive fumed silica used.
    Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The official website of CAT (Common Admission Test) has been hacked. If you try visiting the site using Firefox web browser; you will see the following error message - "Reported...
Hello everyone some of you have already gone through many interviews(technical/hr/mr). Can you suggest some of many and many other ceians queries. 1. Firstly tell about dressing style. Would wearing...
Hullo, i am in third year. i want to do something worth while along with my B.E.Cse .. any courses ..or any projects or anything extra... i just need your...
Quick Heal CEan of the month August 2010 is... 😁CEan - aj_onduty😁 ​ CEan aj_onduty aka Ajit joined CE on 24th August 2010 and has over 90+ useful posts to...
Official Announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/36249-quick-heal-cean-month-august-2010-a.html Discuss in this thread. 😀 Congratulations Ajit! Keep up the good work!