Certifications are good or wastege

What do u think about certifications like...
Ccna,mcse,scjp.scjd,rhce,rhcss....etc

if anyone learn java or ccna or other ..... Is their need that he have to do related certification.....

Is their any benefites of certifications.....

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Certifications can be 'good' or 'wastage' depending upon how you use the knowledge gained during preparing for the certification. Certification, as such, is just a confirmation of the knowledge you've gained.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    To elaborate on biggie's point, certification is the only practical way companies (that're gonna hire you) can make sure that you actually have the knowledge of the technologies that you have on your resume. That is the bottom line.

This is because individual testing of all candidates appearing for an interview is impossible!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Certifications play different roles according to your aims.

For instance, the CCNA certification is an indication that you have sufficient knowledge in networking concepts focusing around Cisco products. Sometimes certified CCNA associates do not have networking backgrounds in their degrees/diploma, so having a CCNA would help verify that knowledge regardless (via CCNA classes and labs). Also, CCNA holders are required to retake the exam after a few years or upgrade to the next track.

Once you continue on the Cisco certification track up to CCIE levels, you would be considered a sort of networking expert in specific fields such as Security, Voice, etc.

Depending on which company one joins, training is usually company sponsored, and once you pass you are usually valued more (renumeration rates for CCIE employees are quite respectable). It is also easier to gain the trust of clients and win the tenders ๐Ÿ˜€

If you are a freelancer, certification would certainly help show clients that you are the real deal other than showing your portfolio. And if you want to find jobs, up to date certifications are quite valuable.

As long as one can afford it (or company sponsors it), its usually a good thing to take certification that relates to your field of interest.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Its for good only.

Atleast you wll study a bit to pass for the certifications. Then its a another badge on your collar.

-CB
  • smita89
    smita89
    No doubts there that it is definitely a plus point but only if you are truly dedicated to the course ware and are actually interested in pursuing it. I've seen lots of students who do courses just because its the trend or it is needed for campus placements and end up mugging up just like other college studies. That is NOT at all beneficial. If you're planning to pursue a certification, make sure you do it in a field which you like and are interested in working on. And make sure you keep doing it practically too.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    smita89
    No doubts there that it is definitely a plus point but only if you are truly dedicated to the course ware and are actually interested in pursuing it. I've seen lots of students who do courses just because its the trend or it is needed for campus placements and end up mugging up just like other college studies. That is NOT at all beneficial. If you're planning to pursue a certification, make sure you do it in a field which you like and are interested in working on. And make sure you keep doing it practically too.
    You've raised a good point. I have seen people doing courses just for the heck of it!! This is worse than not doing the course.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I agree, it is what you do with them as well as the perception in your industry of the specific certificate. I have several and they have been a great benefit. Unlike my area, I know the IT field is heavily dependent on them & requires constant upgrade & maintenance.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Certifications are only as good as your knowledge about that subject. I have taken interviews of students who claim to know Java, MS, Networking, et al. When questioned, they somehow forget all they have learned and manage a weak smile and say they've forgot.

This attitude is just downright lame. Do not do these courses for certificates and "Resume value", do them for increasing your knowledge.
  • shashank734
    shashank734
    kidakaka
    Certifications are only as good as your knowledge about that subject. I have taken interviews of students who claim to know Java, MS, Networking, et al. When questioned, they somehow forget all they have learned and manage a weak smile and say they've forgot.

This attitude is just downright lame. Do not do these courses for certificates and "Resume value", do them for increasing your knowledge.
    thanks sir !
    that's good advise i will remember this in future
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    ๐Ÿ˜€

I wanted to raise this in debate , but used the Advanced Search option CE provides.

I just searched and found this. Good option ๐Ÿ˜€

I hate certifications , I am talking about HP - QTP certification where there is no standard of questions !!

Moreover, We have some 100 questions and everything will come from that bunch.

I have said to my manager , certifications of this kind dont show my talent .
    Its just namesake , I am not interested in doing it.

He said you should do blah blah..

You know Manager wins !!!
  • shashank734
    shashank734
    I think that is matter of choice and how you give the certifications.

their are many dummes avilable for the certifications by this you can pass that certificate but i thinks that is wastage of your money and knowledge.
    you are cheating yourself.

But if you take it in right way then they are good and increases your knowledge cause you learns and study more for passing the certificate.

currently i am preparing for SCJP(sun java) then i feels that i learn many deep points which i not considered before and that's are the big points.

So it's depends on you that how you prepare shortcut or deep study.
  • callyD
    callyD
    I think having certification won't hurt and looks impressive on your resume.It's also a tool for companies to help screen the hundreds of resumes they get. It's not unusual for an employer or #-Link-Snipped-# team to receive 100-300 applications for one position and asking for certifications and degrees can be a pre-screener. I say, go for the certification if you have the resources to do so.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Certifications are way to distinguish yourself from the crowd. It allows you to get preferences from hundreds of other candidates.
    But getting certified is not the end. The important thing is to retain the knowledge that you have learned. That requires to be in touch with the topic frequently & go on working on that field, so its important that you should be interested in those subjects.

You had learned something & payed well for that & after that you forget everything about it, thats 100% loss.
    I did RHCE certification an year ago & now i'm going for RHCSS exams. It feels good when you never detach yourself from the course & you keep on learning new things.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    It never distinguishes , every other person in the world does the certification.

Exams are not just exams that is a business !!!

So I hate writing , though I am writing one today ๐Ÿ˜”
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    English-Scared
    It never distinguishes , every other person in the world does the certification.

Exams are not just exams that is a business !!!

So I hate writing , though I am writing one today ๐Ÿ˜”
    It certainly distinguishes.
    Everyone don't do certifications, most of the public don't feel like doing it, its the common scenario. Many of them don't ever know about it.
    Moreover it depends on the certification you do & number of certified people present currently.
    I have heard how the microsoft certification exam is conducted, the solutions are dictated to you.
    In some certifications, certificates are delivered to you without any exam by paying just the amount.

Less the number of certified people of a particular certification more will be demand of such certified people. There are only 40 RHCSS certified people in India which I've studied & I'm going to give its exam, so i can expect a good job demand.

And everything is business in today's world, we do certification for business too.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Vinod,
    Your logic is based on the premise that because of certifications you get a better job. Fine, you get a job, then you are assigned a task which requires a level of competency that certification is "supposed" to guarantee.

If you do those certifications without gaining that competency, then your employer would find that the certification ends up being one worthless piece of paper. The next time he sees this certification on someone else's resume, he wont value it as much ๐Ÿ˜€

I have interviewed CCNA, MCSE, SCJP certified people. And all of them knew zilch when asked in-depth on these topics. Zero. I am not going to value these certifications any more. Certifications are commercializing competencies, without building capabilities. And that's bad.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    kidakaka
    I have interviewed CCNA, MCSE, SCJP certified people. And all of them knew zilch when asked in-depth on these topics. Zero. I am not going to value these certifications any more. Certifications are commercializing competencies, without building capabilities. And that's bad.
    Well, CCNA is just an entry level cert, probably just to verify what you have supposed to learn in your degree. Only difference is it starts introducing the usage of Cisco equipment and programming. The problem with these types of certs is that someone can pass them by just studying sample exam questions and barely skimp on the practical stuff. Therefore, employers would only use them as guidelines rather than absolute. Though, there are people who actually do take good advantage of going through the learning objectives of the certs and benefit a lot from them.

However, if one was to interview a CCIE holder for example, it would be a whole different ball game ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shashank734
    shashank734
    Hi... friends by the many replies i think certifications are only for the entry level and distingush u from the geathring.

And one more point i noticed that if you done ccna then you should go for ccnp or further cause first certification is only infomation about this.

I think certifications has low cost in the asian countries anyone said that that are tottaly buisnuss but friend remember that companies from usa has certification price 150$ that are not much for the usa people our currency diffrence made it coastly for us.
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    The economist Milton Friedman advocated letting people practice medicine without a medical degree. He said that laws should require that people who practice medicine must honestly state their educational qualifications, but he felt that they should not prohibit anyone from being a healer who obeyed that law. He thought that "professional societies" like the AMA had an interest in artificially restricting the number of people who practice medicine to assure that doctors have high salaries.

One can have the same debate about certifications. For example, CCNA is a certification that centers on a particular company, Cisco. So is it monopolistic? There aren't any laws that I know about that require network administrators to have the CCNA. However, there has been talk in the USA about some Federal standard for network administrators.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi....friends... I m shashank...i m persuing IT engineering.. i m intrested in new tech.. I wanna learn more..... their is many confusions which i wanna solve out just help me...
Anyone know about rear mirror assembly and locking system plz tell me...
Make your computer a pentium 5 or higher This is a silly computer trick just for fun. This is harmless and will not hurt your pc. SHOW YOUR PC PENTIUM...
1. NIIT : Not Interested in IT 2. WIPRO : Weak Input, Poor & Rubbish Output 3. HCL : Hidden Costs & Losses 4. TCS : Totally Confusing Solutions 5....
import java.util.Random; public class rad { public static void main(String args[]) { int temp; Random rand=new Random(); temp = rand.nextInt(6); System.out.println("the temp is:"+temp); } } the error msg is "wrong...