CEO of Indian Search Engine Arrested For Copyright Infringement: Right Or Wrong?

Anurag Dod, the CEO of famous Indian search engine, Guruji.com has been arrested for copyright infringement. The music company, T-Series has filed an FIR against the CEO and other top executives of the company.

Here's what happened -

Guruji.com is actively promoting its music search facility. The facility has a unique concept that lets users search for any song and then links to the music download/streaming site (all pirated song download sites). There are however disclaimers that say Guruji.com does not take any responsibility of the content on this site.

What Guruji does is, link the users to the pirated sites so that they can listen to the songs or download the songs. Guruji just plays the role of the middleman in the whole process.

Do you think the charges filed by T-Series are valid? Do you think CEO of guruji.com should be arrested? If yes, why? If not, justify!

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I don't think the charges are justified.

If that's the case, then Google should also be tried under the same charge,
    for it also provides links to illegal sites containing proprietary information.

The site is just providing links. That is, it's just crawling the web and displaying what it finds.
    If anyone should be arrested, it is the guys who put the content online, in the first place.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I do not completely agree silverscorpion. It is true that google too provides links to all sorts of site but it doesnt specifically lead users to these illegal sites on purpose. Google works up its listings based on algorithms and it is the webmasters' efforts which subsequently lead a website to the top or bottom of the search results. so in that case Google is not actively involved in promoting a website. its a different matter in case of advertisements though, but I havent seen any illegal ads/promotions on google(or maybe havent noticed).

Guruji on the other hand is leading people to the specific illegal download sites. its the same situation where the P2P sites lost their ground. It had to re-evolve as bittorent where the trackers could argue that the torrents on illegal stuffs were uploaded by users themselves and so they were not involved in any illegal activity(again many good sites lost their cases when sued upon) . in the similar scenario I believe Guruji.com has done something it should have and it deserves the same fate like many others before them have faced. But one must remember that this is India and people doing illegal things get away with easily.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Steve Jobs is in the news again for not letting iPhone and iPad support Adob Flash - the technology that powers most of the websites. Steve Jobs thinks that Flash...
i am a final year computer science student. i need to choose my seminar title. i need to do the latest technology about the inventory management. Anyone of you can...
hello i am new to ce. i like to purchase java course of quest tutorials... can you please specifiy the whole procedure for it.. please reply me soon.. i like...
Hello, i am final year computer science student. i need choose a seminar title about IT technology for the inventory management as my seminar title. Anyone of you can give...
Q 1: What is a trap and trapdoor in operating system? Q 2: Explain the Buddy system of memory allocation in operating system ? ๐Ÿ˜