Centre Drive Automobile

Is it possible to have an Automobile driven with the Steering in the centre instead of Left/Right. This would give the Driver a better view and control on both sides of the vehicle. It would also solve problems of Left HAnd Drive vehicles in countries where the Traffic moves on the left side of the road and Right Hand Drive Vehicles in countries where the Traffic moves on right side of the road. A global uniform Drive then can be adopted.

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Yes, it is possible. Some concept designs have included this as well as some racing layouts.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gohm
    Yes, it is possible. Some concept designs have included this as well as some racing layouts.
    Gohm, Formula 1 cars have the center driver, right?. I believe the center drive would mean lot of changes in the engine itself.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Yes it is. McLaren F1 has center steering and though it is under the category of a sports car, it is street legal.
    @Biggie: Why should there be any changes in the engine?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    Yes it is. McLaren F1 has center steering and though it is under the category of a sports car, it is street legal.
    @Biggie: Why should there be any changes in the engine?
    Well, that's what I think. My knowledge of engines is limited 😉 .

Well, I think you are right. There won't be any changes needed in the engine. We'll just have to alter the steering wheel assembly; which I think isn't a tough job.
  • Differential
    Differential
    Looks ok to me, but this would eliminate the space of another front seat as there won't be sufficient space for it.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    McLaren F1 has 3 front seats. Not two, as is the case in most cars.
  • gohm
    gohm
    There are a couple roadster designs with the two seats in a row, like in a fighter plane. Others have one or two rows behind the central driver's seat. The tandem design would be a unique driving experience especially on the track and would greating improve aerodynamics.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here starting an interesting debate. The topic of this debate is - "Women reservation in politics" Speak for or against....explode ur ideas and views...
hello ,,, well i'm a 1st year student in electrical & electronic engineer its my 2nd quarter now , i had a class that i should do measurment on amplimo...
After creating a webpage including options to turn devices ON/OFF, let say using HTML and JAVA. What do I use as an interface between the internet and the actual computer...
i m a 4th semester mechanical engineering student.wanted to do internship during jun-july-2009.can you please help out in finding a suitable comapny...???I am frm Hyderabad and want internship anywhere in...
Can we use pf correction equipment in home. If so how.... please share your ideas.............