CE site customized for mobile surfing!

These days almost all websites have a mobile web version of theirs which are customized for surfing from mobile internet(gprs). I've noticed that there is no such thing for CE yet and surfing the CE site through the gprs can be a pain sometimes. With more and more mobile operators giving cheap or even free gprs connections, it becomes convenient to log into CE directly from the mobile phone. But the problem is that in most places (except for bigger cities) the gprs connection is very slow and a full fledged website takes a lot of time (or may not even load) and hence the need for a customized site for mobile viewing.

Can something be done about it biggie ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, I'm aware of it and maybe we'll need to setup a lightweight theme for CE for mobile access. It wasn't on priority list till now because we haven't noticed mobile users until now (the count is rising, of course). But this is on the list for sure and something will be done about it. When? I don't have a clear idea right now.

Maybe this can be a project for some of us here on CE? Anyone?
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    The_Big_K
    Yes, I'm aware of it and maybe we'll need to setup a lightweight theme for CE for mobile access. It wasn't on priority list till now because we haven't noticed mobile users until now (the count is rising, of course). But this is on the list for sure and something will be done about it. When? I don't have a clear idea right now.

Maybe this can be a project for some of us here on CE? Anyone?
    I didnt get what it means.

Most popular sites have a different UI for their mobile site. Is it that they have created 2 totally different sites and hosted on their servers or is something else being used here. 'Cos by the look of it, it doesn't look like it is the same site with few modifications. Even Google accessed by mobile is different and the difference can be best noticed while using google images.
  • lal
    lal
    I guess it would be a nice move if we start CE-Lite. I have logged into CE a lot of times with my mobile. Even this post is made from my mobile.

The present theme of CE seems to be not much a load to mobile browsers. But it would be even better if there is another CE page optimized for portable devices, which are less on resources.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I think in mobile version we can reduce the number of ads displayed on the page which takes some time!

And I dont know whether it is possible or not , but for a user can we display the threads to which he is subscribed and newly started threads from his last visit only ?? (Excluding the old threads/)
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys any more ideas here??
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Yeah, I'm all for CE on mobile. Most, if not all, office goers use internet on their mobile device at least once a day!! So, in the coming days the traffic should increase substantially!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE for Mobile is coming and coming soon. I'll have a concrete update on this very soon.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    bring it soon Biggie. I have been missing the action on CE for most of the past couple of months. My mobile net speed is not enough to browse CE on the mobile satisfactorily. I use Nokia N73 and it takes time to load the normal version. Light version will surely help with so many operators coming up with cheap or even free mobile internet schemes
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Indeed many users want it. I'll perform a minor upgrade very very soon and it'll enable few new features. Mobile site, will take some time though.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In GRE, 6-8 questions are based on sentence completion. These questions can be divided broadly into two distinct categories: Questions that basically test your vocabulary. Questions that basically test your...
This is lity.I really find it exciting.pls let me be your frnd . i'm continuing my engg. in vssut, burla, orissa. i'm in final year n wanted to know about...
Hi, Is there any automation tool available for web application.
Hi, Can anyone explain difference between product and project metrics with example.
Meaning: to rub out Usage: The dates on the inscriptions effaced over a period of time. Syn: expunge, obliterate,remove,sanitize