Ce - lug

Hub for all the Linux users.
Newbies, armature and experts any one.
Ask the doubts , queries here , anything about LINUX is a valid question.
Its just to build up a CE owned LINUX USER GROUP, which involves all levels of expertise.

PS:I understand appreciation is good, hence please post any appreciation/ thanks here --> #-Link-Snipped-#. Lets keep the thread informative . post in as much as information and knowledge you want to share.

I know it will be slow build but still, a small start is always good πŸ˜€

HAPPY LINUXING!

MEMBERS TILL NOW:
SS
MANU
RAJ
MS
DURGA
MADDIE
SAFWAN

I am happy we are already 5 😁

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Happy Linuxing.. πŸ˜€

Well, I'd love to join this LUG.. I'm a newbie in Linux and have just started using it.

I use Ubuntu Ultimate currently. I've not tried anything overly dramatic in linux until now.

I'll try out something and come with questions here.. Until then, Godspeed!!
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    Hey, Thanks Durga,,, me too love using linux, personally i use Novell SUSE Linux..
    ya, do have many doubts regarding Linux, will ask some here only.
    Happy Linuxing.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I am using Hardy Heron, Kubuntu 8.04. And yes, it is Kubuntu not Ubuntu.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I hope, this is the correct thread to post the following question.

I do have the SATA hard disk. I want to use the Redhat9.0 linux. While starting installation, it could not recognize my harddisk and displays as" there is no hard drive ". I have tried Mandriva and ubuntu , those are working good. Is there any solution for that?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    WELCOME ALL πŸ˜€

hmm.

Are you sure linux version is compatible with your system specifications?

I had a similar issue where my DELL was not OK with Fedora 7.0 So I moved to Ubuntu.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I heard that,for sata hard disks there is special procedure to install redhat.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Lol, Fedora gave me quite a number of installation issues last time. Try adding this line when you boot up the Boot Disc and after pressing the Tab key at the option menu:
    edd=skipmbr
    If that doesn't work, try changing your hard disk mode other than SATA in the BIOS. If it does.. remember to change it back to its original settings after installation.

Could work for RedHat too πŸ˜‰
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    bascically, The issue with my fedroa was I tried putting on Fedora 7 ( then 10 was in market) and it did not support DELL XPS configuration. I think a higher version would have/ might have worked fine.

By the way what is the significane of the boot command you provided?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Something to do with hard disk polling to get booting info:
    The kernel shipped with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 now includes support for Enhanced Disk Device (EDD) polling, which queries for bootable disk device information directly from the disk controller BIOS and stores it as an entry in the /sys filesystem.

Two significant kernel command-line options related to EDD have also been added:

edd=skipmbr Γ’€” disables BIOS calls that read disk data while still enabling calls that request information from the disk controller. This option can be used when the system BIOS reports more disks than are actually present in the system, causing a 15-30 second delay in loading the kernel.

edd=off Γ’€” disables all EDD-releated calls to disk controller BIOS.
    Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Note, Fedora is based on Red Hat.. so commands apply to each other.

Perhaps quering SATA disks is different than IDE disks.. or if the SATA disk contains hidden partitions preconfigured by manufacturers (Like Dell, Acer, etc), it confuses the Linux boot up process. I'm guessing its the later, since a lot of users who report this issue are those using branded computers and laptops.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I have tried with federo..that too don't work in my system..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    did you try doing what ash suggested?

OK..what is the FEDORA version you are trying to install?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Had anyone used EduBuntu or Ubuntu JeOs.

I want reviews for them?? Plannig to use them in virtual environment.

-CB
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    durga
    did you try doing what ash suggested?

OK..what is the FEDORA version you are trying to install?
    federo 10. that accepts that command. but again shows the same errorπŸ˜”
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    MS ; I found something which might help you.

can you go through this link

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    durga
    MS ; I found something which might help you.

can you go through this link

#-Link-Snipped-#
    I have posted my federo version numbr wrongly. It is not 10 and it is 9.
    Now I got the federo 10, and No problem with this federo 10,It is installed in my system successfullyπŸ˜€. Thanks for the link.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    yuppie!!!

First issue of CE LUG succesfully resovled!!!

Awesome MS 😁
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    One more tips to CEans on linux. Using wine software you can execute the windows executables on linux.
    I have already posted it in the someother threadπŸ˜‰
  • wassup
    wassup
    Crazyboy I havre tried edubuntu and the school kid liked it. Great apps for nursery to 6-7th class. Really easy to use n the kid liked it more than the mspaint.
  • safwan
    safwan
    durga
    I know it will be slow build but still, a small start is always good πŸ˜€
    My grand mom use to say " with drops we can build pond " πŸ˜‰
    so what you say is correct.

I dont know linux but i am going to learn it .πŸ˜€
  • wassup
    wassup
    safwan
    My grand mom use to say " with drops we can build pond " πŸ˜‰
    so what you say is correct.

I dont know linux but i am going to learn it .πŸ˜€
    Go ahead and start using Linux. Learning curve is not as steep as you think. It's can be much more easier than windows.

Yeah and go for Ubuntu πŸ˜€
  • safwan
    safwan
    does ubantu /linux include command line.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    safwan
    does ubantu /linux include command line.
    Yes it does. All Linux distros have a strong command-line backbone. But you don't have to know about terminal commands to make use of Ubuntu. Whatever you need to know, you can find online as there at least a hundred blogs dedicated to ubuntu only!!

[EDIT]
    how come i've never seen this thread??
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ MODS:
    Can this thread be made a Sticky please?

@All CE-LUG members :

please read the inspiring talk with Gerard Beekmans from Linux from scratch. The very basic idea of buibling your own linux has evolved from this man

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • wassup
    wassup
    LFS is too hard and time consuming. Try it only if you are a student 😁 The best way to build custom linux app for now is susestudio. It's sill under beta, so you need invitation for that. I have used it and works fine.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I have not heard about susestudio.
    And it defintly sounds not ubuntu but suse. So what does it actually about?
  • wassup
    wassup
    Yap it's opensuse. It is used to build custom linux with little effort online. Yap online.

1)They provide you with basic system first
    2) You choose what apps you want to add
    3) The best part is you get to test it online before you download it ! (this feature rocks)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Gosh, openSUSE was a bit of a nightmare when setting up PPPoE connections. Not sure if this issue is fixed with the latest version, but if you still have problems you can refer to this post:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Of course, one can avoid the whole fiasco by configuring the WAN settings on the router instead, and just connect the computer with a LAN interface only.

Fedora is also a good stable alternative to Ubuntu.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I've went back from OpenSuSE to Ubuntu recently..Although the looks are good, I found it to be a tad irritating..Specially when installing a software, it used to update the repositories every single time!!
  • wassup
    wassup
    hmm @maddy n @ash susestudio is about building your own Linux system, almost from the scratch
    Here it is #-Link-Snipped-#
    It's not about Opensuse !
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hey one sec, though I could see only the main page, I could not sign up as my office junk has only IE 6 πŸ˜” and looks like the susestudio doesnot support IE.
    I think its more of building the linux system based on Suse pakages , is it so?

I will navigate it back at home.
  • wassup
    wassup
    IE 6 really ? Hmm most sites are dropping support for IE 6. Yeah its about building custom linux with suse packages. I think you will have to wait till you get your login πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Hello members ,

I am buying a lap - top tomorrow πŸ˜€

I want to install Linux , I asked few friends they suggested RedHat is good one.
    I am a very much new-bie to linux , so suggest me what i need to install.

There are many talks going on here regarding different types of linux.

So suggest me something which is easy to understand for a new - bie like me?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Take this simple test to determine your which linux distributions are best suited to your needs.

#-Link-Snipped-#

I would recommend you go in for either Ubuntu or Fedora or OpenSuSE (in that order).

Red Had Enterprise Linux is actually the paid edition (costs about $80). But the company maintains an open source alternative (Fedora) which has the same technology.

Here is what I would recommend, if you have a decent internet connection (256+Kbps) then download the live CD cum installer iso for all the three distros, burn them onto CDs and use the live CD feature to get a feel of each one without actually having to install anything on your computer.. This way you can find out which linux distro is best suited to your needs.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Firslty, you can bring in a windows based laptop itself.Since you say you are a new bie, may be you can make you laptop a dual boot up one.
    Personally I feel ubuntu as its the only other software what I tried after susue , and I did not like susue much , I did not investgate if it was becasue of susue but my laptop crashed days after i installed susue.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeap, its certainly worth trying out different types of linux distros to find the ones you like. One can start of with Ubuntu for and easy transition into the linux world since there is a lot of support of there, but you dont have to be stuck with it purpetually. There is probably a distro out there that exactly matches your requirements.. or if you are a little more savvy, just customize it fully to your needs.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Hows everyone doing with their Linux? πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I am not so well atleast :-| not sure about other linux users.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Just installed MS Office 2007 on Ubuntu 9.1 with Wine 1.1.3 πŸ˜€

Works like a charm, does give some issues with Powerpoint and Smartart. But who needs that anyways πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi am a B.E graduate working in a SW company @ chennai. i planned for higher studies as part time. i dont like doing M.E, M.B.A. am looking for program...
Centerline Compression Turbine Engine I am interested in the designing of a turbine engine that compresses its exhaust gasses along its centerline. Any thoughts?
Dear students, Being engineering students, you are expected to use your technical knowledge in solving problems for making the world a better place. One of the recent innovative project I...
I am hoping this thread will generate lot of ideas which could be used by engineering students for their final year project. [If you pick up ideas from here, please...
I request all our CEans to post their own tips to help students come up with their own innovative project idea. We do not intend to discuss project ideas; but...