CE Engineers' Day Celebration On 15th September On Forum - Need your ideas

India will be celebrating the Engineer's Day on September 15th to mark the 150th birth anniversary of of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya

Sir Mokshagundam Vishweshwaraiah was also honored with India's highest honor Bharat Ratna in 1955.

Vishweshwaraiah was the man behind the flood protection system.
He served as a chief engineer during construction of Krishna Raja Sagara on the Kaveri River near Mysore. Several dams, which are still functioning, were built under Vishweshwaraiah and others still use the same mechanism devised by him.

It would be great to celebrate 'Engineer's day' on CE. We have ample of time to make preparations.
NEED YOUR SUPPORT & IDEAS.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I am surprised that Teacher's day is on 15th september. But yest the initiative is really good and we should support it 😀

1. As Sir Mokshagundam Vishweshwaraiah was a great person who was involved in Nation building, let us post the information of various projects undertaken for society (they should be related to engineering)

2. Starting threads and interviewing people who have initiated these projects and are working for them 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Teacher's day is celebrated 'today', that is 5th September in India. 15 September is 'Engineers Day' in India.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Issue: Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan' s birthday is celebrated as teachers' day, which is today.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We want more replies, engineers!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Another idea:

How about starting some sort of activity here on CE with a team of regular and members?

It can be a short term technical project which we can show people that we have done for Engineers day?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes. We need 'exact' ideas. Technical projects should be such that they encompass all branches of engineering.
    I was wondering if we could plan some sort of tribute to 'Bharat Ratna Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya' on 15th september. His work & life is great.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    My idea revolves around Create the future contest.

• 2-3 teams of CEans will discuss a topic and create a project.
    • They will discuss how to make project in threads.
    • The discussion would mean posting circuit diagrams, diagrams of accurate working models etc.
    • They will fabricate the model if possible (Cost considerations).
    • Even if they cannot fabricate the model, anyone should be able to make the project by looking at that idea.
    More ideas are welcome.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Yes. We need 'exact' ideas. Technical projects should be such that they encompass all branches of engineering.
    I was wondering if we could plan some sort of tribute to 'Bharat Ratna Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya' on 15th september. His work & life is great.
    In these days of rank corruption it is worth remembering upright persons like MV.
    I am sure most people will recallthis:
    MV used to work beyond sunset, many times in places without electric power. He had two candles , one that he bought and the other government supply. He would use the office candle for office work and his own for his personal work.

He and Sir C.P.Ramaswamy Iyer first conceived of linking the rivers of India while the Mettur Danm was being built.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @bioramani: Yeah I have read about him.
    His other notable achievements were:
    1. Implementing an extremely intricate system of irrigation
    2. Designing a system of automatic weir water floodgate.

These gates were employed to raise the flood supply level of storage in the reservoir to the highest level likely to be attained by a flood without causing any damage to the dam. Based on the success of these gates, the same system was installed at the Tigra Dam in Gwalior and the Krishnaraja Sagara (KRS) Dam in Mandya/ Mysore,Karnataka.

Here's a good video about him, speaks a lot about his life:

​
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I wonder if anyone has read the above post.

I think we will launch some competition on 15th september. It will need some preparation, but I will figure something out.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's one of his quotes:

"Remember, your work may be only to sweep a railway crossing, but it is your duty to keep it so clean that no other crossing in the world is as clean as yours."
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Ideas are still welcome here. Any small one-day activity is welcomed for today.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Ideas are still welcome here. Any small one-day activity is welcomed for today.
    We can internalize this. All of us have problems that have been put on the back burner because we want to avoid some inconvenient technical issue. Let us each choose to spend an hour of concentrated effort on one such.

I have already started on one such.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Very few, negligible amount of detail has been written about this company, it's placement drives etc.. It's not even mentioned here: Internship Opportunities, India- Honeywell Internships - Technology Research &...
I heard that in Tech Mahindra technical interview the focus is on communication skills and they check for some basic knowledge of a programming language mentioned in Resume and 3rd...
I want to install Linux OS in my PC, Configuration is RAM:- 512 MB Intel P4 Processor Free HDD:- 25 GB I had tried to Install Ubuntu 11.04 but don't...
After the success of the normal aptitude tests, few CEans have suggested that we conduct technical aptitude tests on CE. I like the idea, but since we have engineers from...
I am appearing in CET exam for engineering. I visited the Don Bosco Institute of Technology Bangalore web site (dbit.co.in) & I found they are quite active in the personality...