CAT 2009 Disaster: Isn't it management failure?

CAT 2009, so far, has been a disaster. With hardware failures, closed centers and students having to restart computers; students haven't had a good experience so far.

Read more news here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Do you think its a IIM management failure that they couldn't manage the move from paper based test to a computer based test?

Or is the blame solely on Prometric - the firm that's been given the task of conducting CAT online?

PS: Note that Promtetric has been conducting GRE/GMAT successfully for many years.

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I check in NEWS compare to last two days, today condition was a bit better..... Still Students were very nervous (additionally nervous becuase of this chaos).

Prometric are the one who are conducting GRE / GMAT / Linux / HP certifications. However, we shouldn't forget that strength of people taking these exams are no where in comparision to strength of people taking CAT. May be they haven't experienced so much load on their servers (I knew that they are giving computer Virus as the reason of this faliure, though I am not sure is it really virus?).

About IIM's I am not sure why IIM's should help responsible for this, They should be held responsible if they will not help for the students who couldn't give their CAT in the last two days.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ultimately, its the responsibility of the IIMs to conduct the CAT smoothly. Otherwise, they should use GMAT scores directly. CAT is designed by IIMs and the decision to outsource CAT to Prometric was taken by IIMs. They were very much aware of what could go wrong in conducting CAT online for over 200k students in a short span of 10 days.

I believe its IIM management failure.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    i have read this news in silicon india.is it true they are blaming due to virus ?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    i knew it to happen...as server & network challenges will come & has created this..they should have done Pilot test runs before announcing exam to each centres to check server config & other related IT infrastructure & handle properly volume of incoming traffic...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The king of pop, Michael Jackson beat twitter on Microsoft's Bing search engine: Read the full news here: Bing - Top Bing Searches in 2009 - Search Blog - Bing...
I'm wondering whether we have any CEans who are considering building an Internet browser from scratch on their own. Its not an easy task, for sure. What's involved in building...
Hey guys, I am designing my own website and confused about which CMS to use for eg. Drupal or Joomla. Please advice. thnx
😕 int main() { int fun(); printf("%d",fun()); getch(); return 0; } fun(){ return 011; }
Folks, check out this wonderful article by Kartik Varma, Founder of to iTrust Financial Advisors. - 5 personal finance mistakes that first time entrepreneurs must avoid Lot of it makes...