case study

*ahem*
I wanted to share this case study what i did yesterday as a aprt of my course work_project management ( yup, I need to take up one mandaory management course)

Scenario:
A very young talented scientist is hired by a company A as a permanent employee
The same lady is hired by Company B as a contractor.
In recent economic times, both the companies are into cost cutting, she is confimred to loose her job in company A.
Company B is still thinking between ethical grounds and business grounds for this young lady the options being either terminate her contract and extent her contract.

if you are a senior employee of company B what decision you would take?

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Answer depends a lot on the question whether the that young lady had joined or not in company A and B.

Now my view is:
    If I would be a senior member of company 'B' and my company's balance sheet is not in good shape, I would consider the termination option for that lady. On the businees ground, as a member of senior management team, I am there to server my company I am not there to do the charity.

Also, considering that I have just hired the lady on contract and contract always starts once the lady will join my company, retention option would be tough for me. Also I will think that if lady is not loyal enough (she is having two jobs, one with A and another with my company) why I should go on the ethical grounds.

So my views would go for termination.

-CrazyGirl.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok.
    Firslt one can contract to a company . I have personlaly known people who have thier own companies (small scaled though) and contracted to the present company i am working for.
    Also, you can consider that that lady being from company A and then contracting to compnay B through company A . Her parent company has fired her, she can always go to company B for work.

P/S: I gave my answer as to-be-terminated, but on return trip home I released may be she could have been retained. Firing should be last option.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Durga - Why you gave answer as Termination at the first place?? And what made you realised that she can be retained.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    IF the woman is Intelligent, As I am the senior management of Company - B , if she loses job in A I would hire her!!

My answer is retain!!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Persopnal experience I should say

I knew a Solution desinger ( obvious that he is precious to compnay) who was a contractor to the compnay since 11 yrs. Contractors are paid more than permanent staff , hence his contract as terminated as soon as the project went live.
    SO I was impulsive enough to say terminate .
    BVut I forgot about one more character whose contract was extended though she was a contractor to the compnay, only based on reason that her work is continous and not project based. Dont guess, that was me.I complelty forgot hat my contract was extended this actaully put me in more dilema when I was travellign back home. Iw as wonderign how my manager took the descision
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    English-Scared
    IF the woman is Intelligent, As I am the senior management of Company - B , if she loses job in A I would hire her!!

My answer is retain!!
    she is intelligent, but her knwolege is not applicble in the project and currenlty you really dont have visiblity for her. Then?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    If I am a senior official in company B, and I have already made an offer on a contractual basis for a scientist, then its obviously for an intended outcome.

If with the cost cutting, the outcome still holds, then I will hire her - possibly I might try to negotiate more on the remuneration. But I would retain her.
    If the outcome goes, so does she.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Fir those who purse M.E and who in need with VLSI project can get topics from here On VLSI design of rank order filtering using DCRAM architecture (IEEE 2007) A...
*sigh* We have seen apple not allowing few apps becasue they dont comply to terms and agreements.But what about showing the locations of nearest drug hotspots in I POD apps?...
can anyone suggest me a minor project in dbms😕 it should be fresh and new one please i am desperate
goto start->run->type "gpedit.msc"->select "user configuration"->select "Adminisrative templates"->select "Desktop"->select "Remove recycle bin from desktop"->select "enable"->press "ok". then close the window and "Refresh" your desktop then see...
I am designing a library management system and for that i need to know about its connectivity with databse(ms-access) so,please help me on that.