Career Shift

Hi, I'm a licensed ECE in our country, but currently working in an IT industry for 1+yrs. And currently thinking to get a 2nd degree in ME. But I can't decide if it is a right choice or not. They are not closely related so I can't really decide about this, also concerned in money and time. Can anyone give some advice with this. Should I take my 2nd degree or to look for another job.

Replies

• Jayaram Reddy
    Jayaram Reddy
    Better to do ME. If you are economically ok and If you are not having any debts.
    Later you can get job to work. But u don't get interest to do ME.
  • Jogendra
    Jogendra
    After few initial years in career it is mandatory to have masters degree for better growth, so don't think of current earnings rather think of more earnings in future. Try to get in touch with your HR for company sponsored ME/M.Tech.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Jogendra
    After few initial years in career it is mandatory to have masters degree for better growth,
    Are you sure about this? I don't think masters degree guarantees better career / salary / jobs.
  • Jogendra
    Jogendra
    There is no guarantee for anything but a guy with ME/M.tech is always chosen for little more responsible work than anyone else.
    I am from electronics background and I have seen people doing same job for many years and not promoted to senior position just because they don't have a master degree. Of course it might not always be true but in my view degree does count.
  • rehpej
    rehpej
    yes, im thinking about my future in so many ways. if i stay here in my current career or if i go more on electronics or if i go with the ME. but im happy with my current career, so im down with two. but if im going to go with electronics, there are so few opportunities here that need no experience in electronics (entry level). and im not sure if there will be a change if i go with a second degree, just like #-Link-Snipped-# said.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    rehpej
    Hi, I'm a licensed ECE in our country, but currently working in an IT industry for 1+yrs. And currently thinking to get a 2nd degree in ME. But I can't decide if it is a right choice or not. They are not closely related so I can't really decide about this, also concerned in money and time. Can anyone give some advice with this. Should I take my 2nd degree or to look for another job.
    #-Link-Snipped-# , I think what you wanted to express could not be clearly understood from your words.
    But, from whatever I am able to understand I believe you wanted to say that:

• You are an ECE (Electronics and Communications Engineer) by qualification.
    • You are currently working in the IT (Information Technology) industry.
    • You do not think that presently there are enough opportunities in this field in your country.
    • You want advice from the forum members whether it will be beneficial for you to plan for a shift in career by pursuing a Second Degree (Postgraduate/Masters Qualification) in ME (Mechanical Engineering), or look for another job in the IT industry itself,
    Isn't it?

(I have just tried to paraphrase your question for more clarity. Please correct me if I have not understood your problem correctly).
  • rehpej
    rehpej
    yes #-Link-Snipped-# sadly I feel like I dont have any growth in my current job. All I do is Copy/Paste/Edit, I spent my yr with those.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    rehpej
    yes #-Link-Snipped-# sadly I feel like I dont have any growth in my current job. All I do is Copy/Paste/Edit, I spent my yr with those.
    Getting a 2nd Degree in Mechanical Engineering is worthy only if you are really interested in Mechanical Engineering and have planned out what kind of work do you want to do after getting that qualification.
    Have you planned about something as such?
  • rehpej
    rehpej
    yes i have plans after getting my 2nd degree. and im also a hardware type of person.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    The job that you are currently doing... is this your first job after qualifying for your engineering licence, or have you worked in some other job as well?
  • rehpej
    rehpej
    yes its my first job.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With an objective of taking governance to the people, Karnataka has launched an e-Governance app titled ‘Karnataka MobileOne’. This app will incorporate the multiple services of central government, the state...
For all the selfie enthusiasts, here’s a piece of good news for you. Keeping in mind the selfie craze these days, Micromax has designed Canvas Selfie, especially for the selfie...
Quote: Solar energy researchers at an Australian university have converted over 40% of the sunlight hitting a solar system into electricity, said to be the highest efficiency reported to date....
Quote: Sam Marsden and his team of fellow engineering students want to break the sub-1000 cc world record with a bike of their own design. Sam Marsden’s dyslexia is so...
If you are one of the tens of thousands of people from India waiting for an invite to buy the OnePlus via Amazon.in; this update is probably the most important...