Career shift from IT to VLSI

Hello, All
I'm a 2015 ECE batch passout.
I am planning to join Software manual testing and automation course as I can't afford to join any ECE core courses.
I wanted to know if in case in future I want to shift to VLSI, is it possible?
Thank you 😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ak_Sabbath
    am planning to join Software manual testing and automation course as I can't afford to join any ECE core courses.
    I wanted to know if in case in future I want to shift to VLSI, is it possible?
    VLSI itself is a vast field which is quite different from software manual / automation testing. Unless you are very lucky to get to work on a VLSI related project as a QA engineer, the chances of switching to VLSI field are going to be bleak.

If you really want to get into VLSI but need a job at present, your best bet would be to take up the QA job; but keep searching for the job in VLSI as well. Your experience in automation / manual testing may not count in your dream role.
  • ram_149955
    ram_149955
    That is true. VLSI course fees are very high compared to IT courses. But if your dream is to work as VLSI design engineer why do you want to work as manual tester.

If you dream about something, you should make every step towards it but dont postpone it.My college mate was jobless for two years after B.Tech and he only wanted to work as VLSI engineer so he never focused on any other roles but after two years, he got selected in XILINIX as a trainee design. It may not be applicable to everybody as spending time for two years without job but who knows you might get lucky.

My only suggestion is if your goal is something make every step towards it and you should always learn about VLSI and never think about anything else.

I am very sure if you get job as manual tester, the zeal inside you to work as VLSI engineer dies slowly. Not to discourage you but this is what happens 95% of the time in reality.
  • Ak_Sabbath
    Ak_Sabbath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    VLSI itself is a vast field which is quite different from software manual / automation testing. Unless you are very lucky to get to work on a VLSI related project as a QA engineer, the chances of switching to VLSI field are going to be bleak.

If you really want to get into VLSI but need a job at present, your best bet would be to take up the QA job; but keep searching for the job in VLSI as well. Your experience in automation / manual testing may not count in your dream role.

ram_149955
    That is true. VLSI course fees are very high compared to IT courses. But if your dream is to work as VLSI design engineer why do you want to work as manual tester.

If you dream about something, you should make every step towards it but dont postpone it.My college mate was jobless for two years after B.Tech and he only wanted to work as VLSI engineer so he never focused on any other roles but after two years, he got selected in XILINIX as a trainee design. It may not be applicable to everybody as spending time for two years without job but who knows you might get lucky.

My only suggestion is if your goal is something make every step towards it and you should always learn about VLSI and never think about anything else.

I am very sure if you get job as manual tester, the zeal inside you to work as VLSI engineer dies slowly. Not to discourage you but this is what happens 95% of the time in reality.

Thanks a lot guys. 😀
    Really needed some advice.
    Also, my aggregate is below 60% (1 to 8 sem) which is keeping me off being eligible to any of the interviews in the VLSI field.
    This also adds to my option of getting into Software testing which after being aware of all the concepts in the field would maybe help me get one a bit easier(also being a less investment at my financial stage). I'm not entirely sure what to believe right now. It would be great if you could suggest me something on that one?

I would also like to add: my aggregate (degree certificate) according to 5,6,7&8 semesters comes around 60+, if that is of any help.

Thank you
  • ram_149955
    ram_149955
    Many people don't like the idea of working as lecturer but I have seen people with strong determination doing this. You could join a engineering college as lecturer and start learning about VLSI everyday and increase your knowledge. There are several benefits in doing this compared to learning VLSI from a institute.

1) First thing is you get salary every month.
    2) You get access to the college library for free and many resources.
    3) You can use the VLSI lab for free.
    4) You can ask the professors there if you have any doubt on the concepts.
    5) Even you learn many things from the questions raised by students.

The only disadvantage to this would be that you won't have placements and you need to work hard for that.

When you dream about something you need to be in touch with that every day and you should increase your knowledge in that every day.

One inspiring story is I don't know if you watched the movie "Pursuit of Happiness", In that movie Will Smith did not have money to feed his son but still he works for a financial firm for no salary because he believed in his hard work that he would get selected as Full time employee after the training period.

If you go for Software testing job, you will not have time to even open VLSI book once in a week because you can't do justice for both at the same time.

You should follow this only if you are really interested about VLSI otherwise if it is all about surviving and getting any job you can definitely choose software testing and you will get job eventually.

Regarding your low percentages, You need good percentage even to apply for software testing positions. Nobody is going to recruit as fresher just because you know about software testing even though you have less percentage. Percentage is going to be a problem both for software testing or VLSI field.

Hope this helps!
  • Karthik2409
    Karthik2409
    Hi All,
    I am Karthik, i am looking for a change in my career path.
    I would like tell about myself.. I completed my BE in the year 2010, and after BE, for almost 10 months i dedicated my time on .Net and Java courses as there was a time when most of my friends were looking for a career in development, though i found coding little tricky, i joined to pursue a career in development. By the time i was searching for a job, i had appeared for a PG Entrance exam, and i got a seat for MBA (MBA i wanted to pursue only to have a lateral growth in my career later, not to go for management job initially), But since i was more interested in technical, i wanted a shift from MBA to technical. My aggregate marks is below 60% in BE, because of this reason, i was finding difficult to get openings for development or Core companies. So, just after MBA, i came across a Hardware institute where they told they will teach Cloud Computing, also as i found that Cloud is a booming and hot topic in the IT nowadays, and also as i was looking up for shift to technical, i pursued that course. And also i had invested pretty good amount for this course. After completion of this course, i got a job in Mid level company, and there i got to know that the job / role which i was going to perform was a support. It was into IT support and i was working as a Citrix Administrator. And just after barely 4 months of joining there, i got a opportunity in MNC, for the same role, but here it was in large scale with single client. Here was where i felt the heat. I never expected while doing the course that i would be working as a support engineer, or a server administrator, and as it was MNC, i am working here in 24 / 7 rotational shifts.. Now its been 2 years of my entire professional career and because of this shifts i am facing lot of health issues and finding it very difficult to cope up with the Work-life Balance . Even though i go to senior positions we have to work in night shifts (client timings).
    This is the primary reason i want to shift to a Job which will allow me to work mainly in General shifts. But want to be in technical, as i don't want to go to management role. Considering all this, i have a thought now, as will that i can go for Software testing. Does changing career path to software testing be a challenge for me now, will consider my deviations that i had in my career as negative or will i get a Job. (I am now dedicated to put effort so i have to get out of this unusual working timings). Will i be taken as a Fresher, or can i show my infrastructure support experience as testing cum support experience.

Also, recently i thought for good opportunities in Core companies, as i am from Electronics background and passionate about electronics, will that be feasible if i pursue VLSI / Embedded courses at this point of time. And how will Core companies treat my profile based on my year of passout, percentage and deviations in career.

Is that good if i take up a course on Software testing or on Core (VLSI / Embedded)
    Please advice

Thank you
    Regards,
    Karthik
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - It's good that you've described your situation in detail. It's not very common for people to do that.

It appears that your main reasons to look for a new job are -
    • Health and work-life balance issue
    • Switch from IT Support to technology domain
    It also is clear that you are more inclined towards software development over other domains available to you. We've no idea about your skill-set in the technical domain; cloud computing is such a vast domain with so many competing technologies and therefore it's difficult to make recommendations about any specific path you might want to take.

Choosing between VLSI or Software Testing doesn't look like the right thing to do. If you've had interest in software development, you're likely to get bored into QA. Though VLSI is closer to your basic engineering study; it's a completely new domain.

I think your options are as follows:-

1. Look for a job in the cloud domain technologies that you are familiar with. If possible, use the IT support experience. It's not very late to start as a fresher. It may mean lesser salary in the first phase; but because you're prepared to put in efforts; you'd better put them in your new job for quicker growth.

2. If you are neutral to technical domain and think that QA or VLSI can be your domain; then all you need to find out if there's a good course available. However, please ensure that the institute you join has a record of placements. I'd strongly recommend that you should look for part-time course if that's manageable.

3. If your job is taking a toll on your health; you should immediately talk to your immediate managers or leaders in the company. If smaller adjustments can help you fix the issue; you'll be better equipped to handle the above two options. Keep in mind - unless you're in the best of your health and have your energy levels high - no other option makes any sense.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions; feel free to ask them below. Stay around and make yourself familiar with CrazyEngineers.
  • Karthik2409
    Karthik2409
    Hi Kaustubh,

Thanks for your response !

1. Basically, i had pursued a course on Software development like Java / .Net in 2011, but now at this point of time, as i am looking for a shift from IT Support to technology domain, i will be looking forward for Testing domain, be it Software testing, Protocol Testing or product testing like wise.
    I am interested in Automation, automation related testing, but at the same time i am also unaware of other testing domains. If that is the case, in testing field which kind of testing will have good scope as a whole and also for my present situation.

2. On work timings, I can talk to my managers, on change in timings or little adjustments, but this will not keep for long and IT support industry demands Server Administrators to work in timings when client is on production time. I am looking for a permanent resolution, so i am looking for testing field.

3. Regarding VLSI , i had been to couple of prestigious VLSI training centers in the City. They told , as i am 2010 pass out, its difficult to get placements as Core companies come with Percentage cutoff and year of pass out eligibility criteria, i am not sure whether they consider 2 years IT Infrastructure Support experience as an experience candidate. Also that seems that the classes are also designed in such a way that it can be attended by only fresh graduates, who are free out of college searching for jobs. Class timings are from 9 AM to 6 PM (Full Time courses) , there are no batches for part time. But since my interests go in vain due to eligibility criteria from Core Companies, i have to look for Testing field options.. I am actually hanging between VLSI and Testing.

4. And one query on Testing , is that Testing and QA , one and the same , or is there any difference between the two, Can you pls clarify...

Thank you
    Regards,
    Karthik

Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - It's good that you've described your situation in detail. It's not very common for people to do that.

It also is clear that you are more inclined towards software development over other domains available to you. We've no idea about your skill-set in the technical domain; cloud computing is such a vast domain with so many competing technologies and therefore it's difficult to make recommendations about any specific path you might want to take.

Choosing between VLSI or Software Testing doesn't look like the right thing to do. If you've had interest in software development, you're likely to get bored into QA. Though VLSI is closer to your basic engineering study; it's a completely new domain.

1. Look for a job in the cloud domain technologies that you are familiar with. If possible, use the IT support experience. It's not very late to start as a fresher. It may mean lesser salary in the first phase; but because you're prepared to put in efforts; you'd better put them in your new job for quicker growth.

2. If you are neutral to technical domain and think that QA or VLSI can be your domain; then all you need to find out if there's a good course available. However, please ensure that the institute you join has a record of placements. I'd strongly recommend that you should look for part-time course if that's manageable.

3. If your job is taking a toll on your health; you should immediately talk to your immediate managers or leaders in the company. If smaller adjustments can help you fix the issue; you'll be better equipped to handle the above two options. Keep in mind - unless you're in the best of your health and have your energy levels high - no other option makes any sense.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions; feel free to ask them below. Stay around and make yourself familiar with CrazyEngineers.
    Kaustubh Katdare

Kaustubh Katdare

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Karthik2409
    Hi Kaustubh,

Thanks for your response !

1. Basically, i had pursued a course on Software development like Java / .Net in 2011, but now at this point of time, as i am looking for a shift from IT Support to technology domain, i will be looking forward for Testing domain, be it Software testing, Protocol Testing or product testing like wise.
    I am interested in Automation, automation related testing, but at the same time i am also unaware of other testing domains. If that is the case, in testing field which kind of testing will have good scope as a whole and also for my present situation.

2. On work timings, I can talk to my managers, on change in timings or little adjustments, but this will not keep for long and IT support industry demands Server Administrators to work in timings when client is on production time. I am looking for a permanent resolution, so i am looking for testing field.

3. Regarding VLSI , i had been to couple of prestigious VLSI training centers in the City. They told , as i am 2010 pass out, its difficult to get placements as Core companies come with Percentage cutoff and year of pass out eligibility criteria, i am not sure whether they consider 2 years IT Infrastructure Support experience as an experience candidate. Also that seems that the classes are also designed in such a way that it can be attended by only fresh graduates, who are free out of college searching for jobs. Class timings are from 9 AM to 6 PM (Full Time courses) , there are no batches for part time. But since my interests go in vain due to eligibility criteria from Core Companies, i have to look for Testing field options.. I am actually hanging between VLSI and Testing.

4. And one query on Testing , is that Testing and QA , one and the same , or is there any difference between the two, Can you pls clarify...

Thank you
    Regards,
    Karthik
    There's no relation between IT infrastructure support and VLSI, so there's no chance you'll be considered as an experienced candidate. Semiconductor industry is in consolidation phase, you'll see lots of mergers happening. Don't mistake this as lack of demand for engineers, but this demand is only for experienced.

I am into ASIC Design working for a leading product company in networking domain. 90% of the total team in India are from IIT, NIT, BITS and IISC. 100% of the freshers are are from those premier institutes. And there are like 3 freshers among 100 people workforce here. And total worldwide workforce of ASIC division is like 250. Yes, only 250 out of 10K+ total organizations workforce.

So consider your choice. Its not really going to be a cakewalk to enter into VLSI. So unless you're really mad passionate. If its like VLSI or nothing, then only you might be able to land an opportunity. If you're just looking to change domain because of the shifts, then keeping VLSI as an option isn't going to be much of use.

At this time, its literally like, you don't choose VLSI. VLSI will chose you. 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In which stream can we explore better in present scenario of IT field..Can anyone give a clear idea about SAP, JAVA, .NET, ORACLE, BIPM, UNIX CPP, ASSURANCE, MAINFRAMES ETC..
my groupmates come up with an idea of innovating the wireless mouse with scanner and a memory for storing the scanned image. but our professor required us to program an...
Hi friends i m really booring about my life what to do i m not getting . whats my mistake also i m not getting .
The car that has become the hottest topic of discussion among automobile enthusiasts is Maruti Suzuki S-Cross. For long, Indians have been waiting for the launch of S-Cross and finally...
I using win 10 from launching date. it grateful experience of new OS win 10. I feel my laptop like Windows mobile as I use windows phone. Mostly waiting for...