Career in software testing

Hi all,

I am Adam from Mumbai. I am interested in software testing however yet quite confused on how to go about it.

I have completed by B.E in I.T in the July – 2012 with aggregate 63%. Had a tough time finding a job. Underwent training in PHP in Mid – 2013. But however things were still messed up. Finally I joined a BPO due to financial constraints in Jan 2014, and still working.

So right now I do have money to invest in courses/certification. However when checked most of the s/w teaching institutes have a bad review [on sites such as consumercomplaints]. After completing a s/w testing course I do intend going for ISTQB certification and also freelancing or working on open source testing projects.

So I just need some suggestions on changing my field. Which institutes are an option for software testing, with hands on experience on projects. I do feel more than ever interested in software testing. It has been 2 years I have completed engineering, and currently working in a BPO, can these two points negate my chances of getting selected?

Reason why software testing

1. After months of thinking I narrowed done to security and software testing.

2. I am a natural critic – love to find error’s even in the best product

3. Current job also requires me to check for unnoticed errors

4. If I have not been able to get a job to make better software, I might as well make software better =]

Thanks a lot in advance.

Also, I am orthopedic handicapped, which has made relocation and getting a decent job more difficult.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-# . Thank you for a good description of your situation; it helps us offer better suggestions. The good thing about software QA is that a lot of help is already available online and there are several websites / forums dedicated to software QA. I think you should look at the institutes that have a good placement record. All you need is an interview call and the rest can be handled through self study. You should be able to figure out most of the things on your own with some help from the institute you join.

I'd also recommend that you should look for your existing contacts working in the IT domain and check if they can refer you to a job for QA profile. Your first concern should be to get an entry in the industry; because once that barrier is crossed, it's going to be easy sailing for anyone who's genuinely interested in QA.

Your experience in BPO may not count; but any interviewer will appreciate if you state the real reason (financial, personal or whatever). Focus on getting an entry in the IT, build some experience and then make a switch to a better role/profile. Make it a 3 year plan.
  • dheeraj patil
    dheeraj patil
    Hello Sir,

I am a mechanical engineer and had 5 years of experience in aluminium facade but now I am planning to switch to software testing field as my current field has limited scope and very few companies are there in this field. so I wanted to know whether I will be able to find suitable job in software testing field as a fresher.
  • Adam_IT
    Adam_IT
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-# . Thank you for a good description of your situation; it helps us offer better suggestions. The good thing about software QA is that a lot of help is already available online and there are several websites / forums dedicated to software QA. I think you should look at the institutes that have a good placement record. All you need is an interview call and the rest can be handled through self study. You should be able to figure out most of the things on your own with some help from the institute you join.

I'd also recommend that you should look for your existing contacts working in the IT domain and check if they can refer you to a job for QA profile. Your first concern should be to get an entry in the industry; because once that barrier is crossed, it's going to be easy sailing for anyone who's genuinely interested in QA.

Your experience in BPO may not count; but any interviewer will appreciate if you state the real reason (financial, personal or whatever). Focus on getting an entry in the IT, build some experience and then make a switch to a better role/profile. Make it a 3 year plan.

Thank's alot for the information, Sir. I am quite confident on the same front. However can you please help me out with names of reputed/trustworthy classes in Mumbai, I am finding it rather difficult to shortlist, considering the internet has something bad to speak of almost every institute. Help appreciated

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

@Divyaprakash - Wishing you lots of success, good health and prosperity. Have a sparkling birthday.🎉
Google Now, which lets you issue search commands to Google; now understands Hindi and your everyday Hinglish as well. Google demonstrated how Google Now recognises Hindi language to perform searches...
Xiaomi is reportedly launching an Mi 16000 mAh power bank to take care of all your power hungry gadgets. The company already has 5200 mAh and 10400 mAh power banks...
Ambulance services in Chennai have more and more facilities inside the ambulance. The facilities are, 1.Well trained and professional medical doctor and staff 2.And additional support paramedics 3. Advanced digital...
Hi... I am post graduation student, we have seminar presentation. i decided my topic as aerodynamic study of helicopter rotor.but i am really confused how to start study, there are...