CrazyEngineers
  • Abhilash41
    Abhilash41

MemberDec 1, 2007

Capturing Light

Read an article about how Prof. Ortwin Hess, his phd student Kosmas Tsakmakidis (University of Surrey) and Prof Alan Boardman (Salford University) are attempting to slow and capture light using "negative refractive index metamaterials". They also employ the Goos-Hanchen effect. The idea is to use light instead of electrons to store memory in computers and also "slow light" could be used to increase speeds of optical networks.
    For more details:
    1. #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. #-Link-Snipped-#
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Elisa

MemberDec 1, 2007

Looks like a cool idea. How will slowing down of light help in increasing speeds of optical networks?
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Abhilash41

MemberDec 1, 2007

Quote from above media release:
    At major interconnection points, where billions of optical data packets arrive simultaneously, it would be useful if we could control this traffic optically, by slowing some data packets to let others through. This system would work in the same way as traffic congestion calming schemes do on our motorways, when a reduction in the speed limit enables swifter overall flow of traffic.

check these out:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberDec 5, 2007

Awesome.. thanks for the info bro. This would certainly be big thing for communication systems.
    Cancel
  • shyamcn10

MemberFeb 13, 2008

hi i'm new here and i would like to do a paper presentation on anythin within the field of E&C.ANythin that relates to my area of interest ie. solid state devices and junction theory would really help.Please suggest some topics.somethin that is going to be a revolution & has tremendous impact or that is application oriented.
    thanks
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register