Canon 50mm EF f/1.8 II Lens versus Canon EF 40mm F 2.8 STM

Yeah, after #-Link-Snipped-#, I'm back in dilemma thanks to the never ending selection of lenses (obviously more costly).

Right now, I'm stuck between the Canon 50mm EF f/1.8 II Lens (know as the Nifty Fifty) and Canon EF 40mm F 2.8 STM (known as Pan Cake).

I really like the Built-Quality of the Pancake, along with its wide angle which scopes as a good event photography-handy-lens.

But the depth-of-field aka 'Bokeh' obtained from the Nifty-Fifty is just awesome for Portraits.

Although both lack Image Stabilization, I have seen many reviews on Youtube where there are a mixed variety of photographers who share their mixed variety of options.

I've infact got a good deal on Snapdeal.com today for the Nifty Fifty, which gets priced at Rs6789 today (after discounts and the promo code) - but seller score is 3.9/5.0. Should I go for it, or shell another 3000bucks for the Pancake?

Or should I get both eventually? (I may be crazy!)

P.S.: Tagging my advisers here: @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    50mm on crop sensor (600d 1.6x) is almost 3x zoom, try with kit lens 18-55. Do you want to use this 3x zoom regularly.
    For regular use I would suggest 35mm on 1.6x, they didn't produce as bokeh as 50mm but very efficient in all purpose lens. BUT, canon don't make 35mm 1.8.

40mm has 2.8f which which is inferior to 1.8. If you want to choose one of these go for only 50mm 1.8.

Or I will suggest to go for,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Kumar
    50mm on crop sensor (600d 1.6x) is almost 3x zoom, try with kit lens 18-55. Do you want to use this 3x zoom regularly.
    For regular use I would suggest 35mm on 1.6x, they didn't produce as bokeh as 50mm but very efficient in all purpose lens. BUT, canon don't make 35mm 1.8.

40mm has 2.8f which which is inferior to 1.8. If you want to choose one of these go for only 50mm 1.8.

Or I will suggest to go for,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    That would be Rs55000 approx.

Canon does have an overpriced F.1.4 (close enough) - Canon - EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Lens which is over 1lakh.

And another thing - F1.8, F1.4 and F1.2 - from reviews F1.4 is shown as slightly more handy than F1.8 or is it not? - truth is that reviews on YouTube (Canon 50mm F1.8 vs Canon 50mm F1.4 vs Canon 50mm F1.2) are just so many variety.

- just for knowledge, not going to shell out Rs1 lakh or even half of that for a hobby - atleast at present scenario...!

P.S.: I think Nifty-Fifty would be a better buy as you said as I have the Canon EF 18-55mm III kit lens already. - clearly gives an edge over bokeh and is suitable for low light photography which happens to be a cool genre.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Please suggest a flash or a natural alternative to flash. Can a mobile phone's flash replicate the effect of original flash?
    - Still searching for answers and learning along the way.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I have no knowledge about flash, never used anyone.
    But, you can go for any standard flash and do some DIY to convert as per your use.
    Like this, a diffuser
    [​IMG]
  • lal
    lal
    If I were you, I would go with the 50mm prime. I don't find any reason to buy a professional class lens for a starer. Yes, the 40mm does grab better pictures. But that is just a marginal difference. And the 40mm must be having more leaves on it's diaphragm which gives a smoother bokeh and some lens adjustments for guiding light better to the snsor. that should be where the price increase comes! Ah, 50mm is in no way behind in picture quality. I suggest going with the awesome nifty-fifty!

An extra flash does have its advantage. Using it wirlessly with the built in flash lets give amazing flexibility in lighting and the ability to bring dramatic effects in the photos. When shooting indoors the necessity of an external flash can be very well felt! It doesn't have to be of the best in class brand.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    If I were you, I would go with the 50mm prime. I don't find any reason to buy a professional class lens for a starer. Yes, the 40mm does grab better pictures. But that is just a marginal difference. And the 40mm must be having more leaves on it's diaphragm which gives a smoother bokeh and some lens adjustments for guiding light better to the snsor. that should be where the price increase comes! Ah, 50mm is in no way behind in picture quality. I suggest going with the awesome nifty-fifty!

An extra flash does have its advantage. Using it wirlessly with the built in flash lets give amazing flexibility in lighting and the ability to bring dramatic effects in the photos. When shooting indoors the necessity of an external flash can be very well felt! It doesn't have to be of the best in class brand.
    So which flash would you suggest? I want to experiment. It may take some time for me to get the flash, but I won't stop trying to get there. Loved the tutorials and videos on Youtube regarding this.
  • lal
    lal
    No suggestions on that 😁 I don't have solid knowledge about various brands and their quality. You should better go see the features offered and get the right one.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Another thing @#-Link-Snipped-# and @#-Link-Snipped-# : Do you guys use a lens hood? Which one would suit for the 18-55mm kit lens? It helps to prevent stray light into the lens and gives a contrast result to the picture I've read/heard.
  • lal
    lal
    That is right, in some lighting conditions (mostly when high intensity light falls directly or sideways on the lense), the light itself can take away details from the picture. Resulting in a picture with poor contrast.

Yes, I do use a lens hood at times. I made one with hard black paper instead of buying one. It does cost a lot to buy one! Damn thing! Some time to spend and patience resulted in a cheaper lens hood instead 😁

By the way, since the front element of the 18-55 mm kit lens is rotating, you need a perfectly round lens hood instead of the one with petals.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    50mm in the bag!

[​IMG]
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I got 35mm f1.8, #-Link-Snipped-#.
    [​IMG]

Just loving the taste of prime lens.😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Kumar
    I got 35mm f1.8, #-Link-Snipped-#.
    [​IMG]

Just loving the taste of prime lens.😀
    Up next is the 40mm pancake for group shots. 👍 Post a list to your pics here on #-Link-Snipped-# thread also.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

SkyMapper, a fully automated 1.35m wide-angle optical telescope at Siding Spring Observatory in northern New South Wales, Australia has mapped a star which formed just after the Big Bang explosion,...
A while back when Amazon announced their ambitious plan of delivering stuff by drones, people across the world first expressed their concerns and then started making jokes about safe delivery...
The Bitcoin price dropped to its lowest level in the nearly two months. The best-known operator of bitcoin digital marketplace, Mt. Gox(Tokyo-based) recorded one of the biggest drops for the...
Can you pls tell me the various pins in this diagram? I am not able to distinguish the various pins in it I have uploaded the image here of the...
Knotting a tie is tough business; unless you really master the art. I guess there are about 3 established ways of tying a tie knot - 'The Four In Hand...