Can you get torque without back EMF? Steorn launches a motor they claim can do so.

Hello Everyone,

An Irish company is launching a new motor technology called E-Orbo. The interesting thing about their technology is they claim it produces torque without back EMF. This seems impossible, because I do not think a motor can experience a torque without experiencing a back EMF.

Back EMF is absolutely needed for torque to happen.

However, they have posted an experiment showing the voltage/current of their system does not change when it is loaded. It also does not change when it speeds up.

I do not understand this motor.

Here is a video of the tests they performed.

Introduction to an Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction - Part 1

- YouTube

Theoretically, can a motor produce torque without back EMF?

Replies

• torquedude
    torquedude
    Re: Can you get torque without back EMF? Steorn launches a motor they claim can do so

Steorn's demo is starting back up today. You can get more information at Steorn - Informasi Teknologi Terkini dan Terbaru
  • torquedude
    torquedude
    Re: Can you get torque without back EMF? Steorn launches a motor they claim can do so

Check out the latest video Steorn has posted.

Steorn's Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction COP is greater than 1. Part 1 of 5

- YouTube

Any thoughts?
  • torquedude
    torquedude

Steorn has posted two more videos.

They claim they have proven their E-Orbo technology is OU.

Steorn Orbo - Proving Overunity 1/2

- YouTube

Steorn Orbo - Proving Overunity 2/2

- YouTube

What do you think?
  • sanks85
    sanks85

hey back emf means the voltage due to eddy current...correct me if i am wrong...and is it so then please explain the phenomena
  • 360degrees
    360degrees

No....In a motor,due to rotation an emf is induced which is in opposite with the applied voltage.....This limits the current in motor since resistence of armature is very small......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I m a civil engg stdent from bit mesra,ranchi..... my 4th is goin 2 start....i dont have any idea regarding trainin n all...so plzz help me out.....whenn izz the right...
I am doing 2nd year BE Mech in Coimbatore. I want to know the companies offering in-plant training for mechanical engineering students in chennai.
what are memory segments and segment regiter? explain role of both in a computer system? let if i am working on word file then processor perform what activties ..i mean...
In the given figure, initially switch is closed. On opening the switch the charge that will flow through the battery will be
This coming summer my 4th sem will be over...so i want myself to get involved in some kind of training...how will i come to know about training taking place ?