Can we separate light and heat from solar rays?

The efficiency of solar power output depends upon the temperature, right? So, if we can separate the heat from solar rays we could produce improved efficiency by allowing only light to fall on the panel. Is there a filter or any methods to do that?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Cold mirrors actually separate large portion of heat from light. I believe you'd just be looking at offsetting the IR part of the spectrum; which mostly is heat.
  • Vignesh Viky
    Vignesh Viky
    Thank you, Sir. By offsetting IR rays, does the intensity of light reduce? Does it reduce the solar power output? Also, can we use a thermoelectric generator to generate additional small power from the IR rays?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Look at it this way: The total energy reaching the panel with the sun directly above the panel is a mixture of x% heat and (100 - x)% light. Even assuming a perfect heat blocking filter, still the light energy reaching the panel is (100 - x)% whether the filter is there or not.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Jumping on the bandwagon of the new display trend of 18:9 aspect ratio, Asus has unveiled its new offering- ZenFone Max Plus (M1) with dual camera setup in Russia. The...
Can anybody advise me regarding the cutting tools(milling cutter),specified for cutting Stainless Steel Plate.Please let me have the details of the cutting tool.
Can anybody provide me the details of the working principle details of Pitot Tube and Venturi meter.
Xiaomi is giving its best to become the biggest smartphone manufacturer in India. Last month it took on Oppo and Vivo with its selfie centric offering, the Redmi Y1 and...
The South Korean tech giant Samsung, on Wednesday, has launched Gear Fit 2 Pro and Gear Sport in India. Priced at Rs 13,590 and Rs 22,990 respectively, both the wearables...