can we have mac address without LAN card?

Guys today there was my viva of ATM
Then my teacher ask me question

can we have mac address if there is no nic card or lan card in our computer?

what you say Guys?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Goyal,

MAC address is associated with a NIC as far as I know. That is the reason why a given PC can have multiple Ip addresses assigned to multiple NIC and each having a MAC address
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    no durga
    the question is can we have MAC address if we don't have any NIC OR LAN card in our computer ?

this question is really creating a lot of doubts in my mind which i will disclose later on after some more replies

come on what's your opinion?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    A MAC address is given for every networked device, and consists on specific codes (OUI) that relates to the manufacturer.

Legally, you can use any MAC address if its for personal or research purposes. However, if your home made device is connected to the public Internet, you will need to buy an OUI.. in the rare chance that it may clash with existing MAC addresses.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Legally, you can use any MAC address if its for personal or research purposes. However, if your home made device is connected to the public Internet, you will need to buy an OUI.. in the rare chance that it may clash with existing MAC addresses.
    It means I can have mac address if there is no NIC card as it imprinted on that only?
  • paritoshvn
    paritoshvn
    I think it is possible mac address without NIC. It may possible through
    VMware.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have read this book and have a great impact on my life. This book is all about the SELF-AWAKENING. Its a great motivational book. A beautiful line written in...
hi friends, in crazyengineers we calculate how many viewes of a particular question is to be done. and when we concentrate on our profile we able to know who is...
I am working on 2 shaft LM 6000 Gas turbine. I wish to know the basic difference of single and multi shaft gas turbines , specifying the advantages of one...
If you are from any of the emirates please let me know here. We would have a CE UAE meet as soon as there are enough members who are interested...
I think everyone is familiar with Internet Movie Database (IMDB). If not, have a look at it yourself. I am proposing this small project (of course with the permission of...