Can online portfolio get you a job in IT Industry?

A lot of people are seen prepping their LinkedIn profiles or About.me page or even their Facebook pages when they are applying for jobs in a new company. Especially experienced people.
To show off their technical knowledge and skills, a lot of IT professional have developed a portfolio online and believe that it gives them certain credibility over others. Do Job interviewers consider these portfolios and will they serve an added advantage?

I think hard copies of Resume or carrying a file of certificates to job interviews has become old-school! We should go paper-less and embrace the creativity brought about by online portfolios or profiles.
What do you think?

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Online portfolio cant get me a job in IT industry But are the entry tickets for attending an interview in IT industry. They do their short listing of candidates using these portfolio only. Going paper-less for an interview, is good to hear but this is not in practice at present.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I had attended many interviews without carrying any resume. But this is not with the help of online portfolio but with a e-resume. I have downloaded my resume into my phone and shown it everywhere 😀

And they asked me to email so that they can check it in their PC before taking the interview!!

Coming back to Linkedin profile, I am hearing that its important to have one with well written verbiage , but I have one profile but never cared for good content there so far.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If I would be recruiter I would definitely like to see online activity of a person on internet. (But only public things the candidate is doing). I think, public social media activity would give fair idea regarding HR perspective.
    It's fairly simple to search by email id.

I would literally want to slap those recruiters who specifically wants hard copy of resume and email. (Total waste of paper), they just take the resume throw in dustbin.
    After that they print their own copy of resume for interview.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Linkedin profile alone might not land you a job. But valueable activities like writing articles or contributing to groups with insightful comments would prove your worth to prospective employer.
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    ianoop
    If I would be recruiter I would definitely like to see online activity of a person on internet. (But only public things the candidate is doing). I think, public social media activity would give fair idea regarding HR perspective.
    It's fairly simple to search by email id.

I would literally want to slap those recruiters who specifically wants hard copy of resume and email. (Total waste of paper), they just take the resume throw in dustbin.
    After that they print their own copy of resume for interview.
    what will happened to a experienced job seeker with no portfolio faces a interview?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we are still at a very early stage of being totally 'online'. You'll still see people carrying around the 'hard copies' of their bio-data. I see LinkedIn being popular only among the experienced professionals who have 'something' to write in their resume. Consider someone who's just out of engineering or is still studying and applying for a job. Most of them would be reluctant in setting up their online resume or portfolio.

What I personally do is simply Google the name of the person and see what comes out. Most of the times, it's their Facebook profile; which isn't very useful - because all their 'walls' would have is some useless content, either liked or copied from other sources.

I still believe there's a strong need of a service that addresses this problem.

On the other hand, if you've something nice to show online - be it your contribution to Open Source, or active participation in project, or a blog on technology or a programming language, or a pet-project that you developed in your free time; the impression on the interviewer will be great!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The united states was the first into the market to sell its first genetically engineered food product'tomatoes' in the market in 1994. Genetically modified foods are food whose genetic materials...
Facebook has today launched an update to the Facebook Messenger app on Android and iOS. Sporting a new and refreshed look and a new app icon, the Facebook Messenger update...
A new app developed by Dr. Kalpana Viswanath and Mr. Anurag Basu from India called SafetiPin lets you find and record information about safety in your surrounding contributed by the...
The line between Science Fiction and science fact is blurring. Quote: Science fiction books, novels and television have, for years, invented technology for the purposes of plot. But fact is...
Here is a normal plane touching down almost vertically down on a ship. Even when one realizes that small planes have low stall velocities, it is landing against a wind...