Can insulator be called as dielectric?

Hi All,

Guys after studying many book on electrical, I have a doubt to clear relating the insulator and dielectric material as they are used interchangeably in the text.

Is dielectric material is same as insulator?

Please do reply, as at least put down your view about it.

Regards

Vibhor Mittal

Replies

• timetraveller92
    timetraveller92
    both are the same...!! The term "insulator" implies low electrical conduction whereas "dielectric" is typically used to describe materials with a high polarizability.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    dielctric means which is a semi conducting material.and insulator is a material which does not allow for conduction.

dielectric is an insulator that can be used to store electrical energy.all dielectrics are insulators but the converse is not true

i had noticed these two differences between them
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    The conductivity of a material is always determined by its electrical permitivity denoted by epsilon. Now this is a relative quantity with reference being vacuum. The value of dielectric constant 'k' is 1 for perfect insulators while for dielectrics it is less than 1.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    can you please elaborate more with two points that you have provided...
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    ok, I consider a dielectric as a substance with high insulation. The reason it is called as a dielectric is that it has charge storage capability & gets polarized when an electric field is applied through it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Picture Clauses Every type of data must have a picture. This determines the type of data that it is. There is a distinction between the pictures that are used for...
In the linked representation of a binary tree, additional space is required to store the two links of each node. For leaf nodes, these fields always have nil values as...
Load Rejection Test (Governor Test) The purpose of Turbine Load Rejection Test is to verify and demonstrate the governor function to sustain a load rejection in order to prevent the...
Does anybody here taken a subject strength of materials???😒
[video=youtube;ThMTmWnE6hM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThMTmWnE6hM&feature=related[/video]