Can Flashmobs Help In Creating Social Awareness?

Flashmobs seem to be getting quite a lot of popularity everywhere around the world. A group of people appears out of nowhere and performs a dance act and then vanish in the crowd after the act is over. While they are great are entertaining, do you think flashmobs can help in creating social awareness? Say farmer suicides or child labor?

Or should we let the flashmobs do what they are meant for - entertainment?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lonely thread. I'm quite sure that everyone knows what flashmobs are.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's the latest popular Mumbai CST Flash mob video:

200 ordinary Mumbaikars (aged 4-60) come together one busy Sunday evening for the pure joy of dancing. The historic CST station blares 'Rang De Basanti' on their speakers while surprised train commuters rush to see whats going on.

I don't think flash mobs help in creating any kind of change, but as BigK mentioned they can be used in villages or towns to create awareness among people about issues that they would usually turn a deaf ear to.
    But then, there is a glitch. Who would take 50 people dancing on a road seriously?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Lonely thread. I'm quite sure that everyone knows what flashmobs are.
    Er... Not me... Are they a set of ad-hoc people?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Er... Not me... Are they a set of ad-hoc people?
    Okay, finally some reply here. Yeah, they 'appear' from among the crowd and perform an act. Just wondering whether people can take these flash mobs seriously enough to spread some social message?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Okay, finally some reply here. Yeah, they 'appear' from among the crowd and perform an act. Just wondering whether people can take these flash mobs seriously enough to spread some social message?
    I haven't seen such an act. And if something happens like that, people might think they are just "begging" for money by creating a scene. I have seen some acts like that in films, for instance, Kamal Hassan's Anbe Sivam, where they used to create awareness among the public about the fraudulent business magnate, who steals money from the poor, by not increasing their wage of Rs. 101! ๐Ÿ˜€ Correct me if am wrong.

It is very uncommon in cities. But in villages, they might be common. I guess, engineers won't be knowing much about the flashmobs. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update!

Flash Mob has been 'Announced' in Nagpur in support of social activist Anna Hajare. All I know is that a large majority of the participants who are going to dance don't even support Anna Hajare. They're just dancing for the heck of it. Sick mentality.

Hopeless idiots.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Why 'hopeless idiots'? How many people you know are participating in flash mob and not supporting India Against Corruption campaign?
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Its a bright, new and great idea that is bringing different kinds of people,age at one place in public.It,itself is creating a message.Even they don't know it, it doesn't matter until they enjoy what they're doing but some day they'll soon realize what they can do with these flash mob dances.

P.S: I know a person using this flash mob concept in a book which is a little message oriented thrilling fantasy. ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nu Tech 2012 is a technical fest organized by Nirma University, Institute of Technology. This fest aims to Innovate.Inspire.Initiate. The fest conducts various programs that would include lot of innovation....
A new app called QWiPS is available for download at Apple iTunes Store. The speciality is that you can add audio clips to your posts. You can have your say...
Institute of Technical Education and Research, Bhubaneshwar presents Chakravyuh 2011 as its technical fest. The event spans for four days comprising of various technical events and exhibitions. Events: Robotics Presentations...
College of Engineering, Pune is organizing MindSpark '11 over past four years and this year it is striving to shed light on how we as engineers can work together to...
Hey ppl, I am a big fan of TV sitcoms and till now i have watched almost 20 series. My favorite are Dexter(my Avatar reflects that....๐Ÿ˜‰ ), Fringe, The Big...