Can engineering be taught online?

Just read the news that over 18,000 engineering seats are vacant in Karnataka alone. The mushrooming of engineering colleges have largely been responsible for degrading the quality of engineering education and therefore the fallout of general interest in engineering studies. I think the future of education belongs to 'online education' or say 'distance learning'.

My question is - do you think engineering can be taught online? If yes - do you think it applies to all the engineering disciplines? Do you think mechanical engineering or chemical engineering too can be taught online?

Voice your opinion below.

Replies

• mail154
    mail154
    Generally I Was a Technology Lover. I Love Watch Educational Videos online. But most of the times i will be into the conclusion that technology is a much bigger gift but we can't end up with everything online. There is a good point in your question "whether its applicable to chemical/mechanical engineering"? I Would be sure that the replies we would have get later will be "yes" . But I Don't think so. I don't think its practical to conduct a chemistry lab or mechanical lab in internet. Will you be able to know to drive a bicycle or swim through online? There would be a set of people to argue we may still use a simulator for that too. But I Don't think so. The technology may be used wherever direct learning is unavailable. If we are sick or something like that we may end up for taking online classes temporarily that too with a limited content and much practical difficulties.we may use it for a smaller extent. 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well one thing about real class rooms is real time doubt clarifications which helps a great community at the same time

In case of virtual class room this is not possible If this is possible then I am sure it will work wonders in the world of education
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    No way.It can definitely cant create a better learning experiance compared to black boards in live classroom
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Why take engineering? Take just driving itself. There's no point in having a licence if you know well how to drag race in Need For Speed by using your gaming consoles, but you can't drive properly on the real (often guttery) road!

Engineers today are like fake drivers with real licenses. What's the point of getting a license? There are three cases you've to consider here:

1. One who has the license (got it somehow) but doesn't know to drive.

2. One who doesn't have the licence coz they've messed up the tests, but they know to drive.

3. One who has the licence (for namesake) but doesn't want to drive.

Verdict : Practice, trial and error lead to perfection for those who are determined!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody assist me with 1s code 1661-1972,urgent
INSAT-3D, India's weather satellite which carries advance weather monitoring payloads has been successfully launched just a few hours ago at about 1:24 hrs (IST) with the Ariane-5 (VA214) launch vehicle...
Found that one of the visitors came to CE searching for cheapest i3 laptop available in India. I quickly performed searched on Google and a few eCommerce sites and found...
Hi All, Can all the techies over here provide reviews about the Tablet that is worth of buying in the budget of 15-20k. Please specify the features. My area of...
I'm curious to know whether the wireless can beat the ethernet cables. Apple claims that the 802.11ac should be able to do 1.3 Gbps wirelessly. Want to know how does...