Can digitisation help minimizing fraud and corruption?

So the current trend is to go digital and everything's going digital. The 'paper' is rapidly vanishing from our lives. The good old personal telephone diary has been replaced by automatic, digital contact books available inbuilt in our phones and computers. It helps us find contacts faster. The 'money' has gone digital and the bank account is essentially all about the 'numbers' that are displayed in the account. Credit cards have reduced the burden of carrying cash in wallets and so on.

While there are several advantages we can count; there's growing threat that this digitisation offers. Some believe that fraud has become easier in the digital world. The magnitude of the fraud one can make in the digital world could be worth billions of bucks.

This debate is about our general opinions on digitisation and whether it can help in reducing / eliminating fraud and corruption. Or has digital world open an entirely new era of possibilities for the fraudsters and crooks? Share your opinions, views, examples and experiences.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes, it does....
    I have been part of a such project of digitization of Collectorate services like issuing of general certificates from Tahseel office. Now people don't have pay under table , also process and transparency of system improved.
    To tackle with fraud, there is need of better infrastructure.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well said #-Link-Snipped-# but how many are willing to spend time in front of the digital aids to get their things

Consider passport seva It is a very simple process where we have to fill in all the basic data about ourself only but check the number of agents available for doing it

Digitisation has in one way reduced corruption in higher officials but the lower end people are so ignorant that they prefer ready made products from agents than to spend time in front of computer
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    A similar idea had come to my mind .

The future of efficient ,effective and corruption free country governance is total e-governance i.e. by applying Information Technology.

Imagine a digital system which manages everything from election to distribution of services to common man.

Such system would have very few chances of monetary leakages and delay of services.
    And we are already on the way.Few similar steps where digitization is already being used successfully :

1. ADDHAR ID (UID): New digital way for identifying an Indian citizen which has database of his details including modern features like biometric data.

2. NATGRID : National common database which will bring together data of criminals and terrorist from RAW,IB,ATS,CBI and local police.

3. Gas Cylinders : For avoiding leakages of supply of LPG,all the LPG companies now share common data base and system to identify people with multi-connection.
    Also the system will allow goverment to send subsidiary amount directly to bank account of customers.

4. Passport system : This has already been made online .

So total digital governance is on the way and would be the final step.

However such system would be a huge one and perhaps ministers will avoid it as it shall keep record of their of attendance at office and performance . 😛

But it shall definitely come and work effectively because we Crazy Engineers have crazy ways to implement crazy ideas.👍
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    jeffrey samuel
    Digitization has in one way reduced corruption in higher officials but the lower end people are so ignorant that they prefer ready made products from agents than to spend time in front of computer
    Well, I have been the part of the project mainly reduced low end corruption.
    check this #-Link-Snipped-#.
    There are many states tenders are now going online (I wish coal block also went through this process☕ ). It's a slow process but one thing is clear that where is the digitization there is always transparency.

I received my passport using Passport Seva. No agent required and passport received in somehow reasonable time. but there is still loophole for corruption at address inquiry stage.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Wonder what everyone's take on this is now? #-Link-Snipped-# what do you think?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I am pretty sure that digitization is reducing corruption. It is a very important e-governance anti-corruption strategy reducing the length between the Government and the Citizens.
    And yes with the growth of digitization, there is a possibility for the rise of cyber threats too. If we see the statistics, there is a profound increase in the cyber crimes all over the world and not just in India. I think, lack of much awareness to the Internet users has increased the risk of cybersecuity. It is the responsibility of the Government to create awareness about the basic security features to the organization staff, to the end users and to all the Internet users.
    You see these days Government is recruiting a lot of candidates specialized in networking, viruses and malware, fraud detection systems etc. But still, Government is way far behind the Private organizations in CyberSecurity.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The US presidential elections are just a few hours away. While those among us who're US citizens will actually vote; I was just thinking if CEans were to vote for...
In designing seismic analysis or windload: What are the effect of slab opening? and how would be this model in structure in order the diaphragm cannot be affected and still...
Warm wishes to Everyone, Hello to, all the members of this community. This is Tarasto graid, a newcomer to this forum. I am here to communicate with all the members...
After almost 4 years I am back on desktop system. Please suggest some games which I can play on single PC. I have earlier played and liked games like Counter...
Nowadays almost everyone is someway or the other using information technology for their day to day activities. However we are Unaware and hardly bothered about the security issues associated to...