Can current be transferred from optic fiber cable (OFC)?

can ofc(optical fibre cable) be used to transmit small current

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Quite an interesting question. I believe OFC basically carries photons (light). But carrying current through optic fiber cable would be quite interesting thing to know.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If a silicon cell can convert solar energy to electricity it can do the same with light piped through an OFC.
    Some work is already afoot.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Ofc can not transfer current without changing the design of the fiber completely because the Si has to be converted into more adequate and useful with dopants that make it more of a conductor than an optical reflector

This is the greatest disadvantage and the largest hurdle in using OFC for transmitting current
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeffrey samuel
    This is the greatest disadvantage and the largest hurdle in using OFC for transmitting current
    However, you can send a high power laser light through OFC and convert it to electricity at the other end.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    This is possible due to the fact that the actual traversing object is Quantums and not electron beams as in current
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    bioramani
    However, you can send a high power laser light through OFC and convert it to electricity at the other end.
    Laser is used to transmit data in FOCs.
    At the input end laser is applied (assume the blinking condition, output laser pipe connected to input FOCs are in constant on-off state) ... due to total internal reflection in FOCs, one single input laser (an assumption) converts into thousands of output containing data in form of bits. Cut to chase, we're already using Laser.
    Coming to transmission of electricity, there is no successful experiment related to foc transmitting the high voltage current.
    Main hurdle is transmission line ...

Maybe only option left for scientists is to create a device which can convert quantums into electrons.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Troll_So_Hard
    due to total internal reflection in FOCs, one single input laser (an assumption)
    All Data in the form of modulated laser beam has to be at the input of the OFC itself. The purpose of total internal reflection is to reduce signal loss only.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    bioramani
    All Data in the form of modulated laser beam has to be at the input of the OFC itself. The purpose of total internal reflection is to reduce signal loss only.
    You are picking wrong point,sir.
    What I meant to say is lasers are already used in transmission of data .... transmission of electricity using laser (like you mentioned) is practically failing at this moment.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    At later point, you can derieve current from the light but you cannot transmit current like done in copper wire. Lets again go back to definition of electrical current. Its the flow of electron THROUGH A MEDIUM in a direction. Your medium here itself is an insulator so no chance of current flowing through it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Troll_So_Hard
    You are picking wrong point,sir. /quote]
    Sorry if I did.
    Some work is being done to use the total reflection creatively to convert the light to electricity, though this can never be a bulk power transfer operation. If the DARPA funded Georgia Tech work pans out one can get a three dimensional solar cell.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    in an opto-electronics we observe the concept of voltage and currents across transmitter end and receiver end but not in channel(OFC).but according to theory what ever the power is transmitted which will be received by a receiver so, we can consider currents across receiver module by using current amplifier.... but ofc is used to transfer the photons using TIR concept so it not mention current through fiber , we can say power(dB).
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah Sir there is no possiblity like #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# and I said the insulating nature of the Fiber is very high unless the design is not modified completely there is no way of transferring electrons through them

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi! I'm Tarun Goel, student of ECE branch from 3rd year. I am persuaing my b.tech from Ideal Institute of tech., Ghaziabad(India). I am a simple guy different from others....
Hello I am Ali - computer science engineer and a new enthusiastic member of crazy engineers community.
Team of researchers from Japan, France and the UK have developed ferroelectric tunnel junction (FTJ) which exhibits voltage-controlled resistance has created a new class of memristor. Given the ultra-high speed...
as we know that mobile towers radiate harmful products. so i have some thought in my mind that if we put antenna under the ground and a major antenna on...
If we can make a robot then we also can some modulation with human body. Actually this is for persons above the 60. if we can put a processor chip...