Can computers replace teachers?

I am addicted to video tutorials.
For e.g: I used them to learn Photoshop.
I learn't how to use chopsticks online. I use them all the time to learn new things.

Then there are these video lectures available in CD or DVD Format.

So I was wondering if they could replace teachers. Videos are better because:

1) I can play them over and over again.
2) They are free. 😀

Whats your take?

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    Ya they can replace surely😀I learn everything online and i understand better than What teachers teach me..
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Well i think the computer education is taking over the teacher's education very rapidly and fastly between teenagers as well as we also. I personaly feel that i aquare lots of knowledge on a particular topic while checking it on net rather than asking from a teacher of my senior. So, no doubtly computers are replacing teachers or we can say that computers are turning to be as teacher for learners....
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    AbraKaDabra
    I learn't how to use chopsticks online. I use them all the time to learn new things.
    Wow, You use chopsticks all the time to learn new things?? I didnt know that!!
    ha ha, just kidding..

Anyway, coming to the point, I don't think computers and videos can totally replace teachers and formal way of learning (read classroom learning).

The primary reason would be, you can't ask doubts to a video. Or to a computer. Yes, I can hear you say internet, but even that fails when it comes to real time doubt clearance..

So, while it's great to have videos for learning a new thing, the effectiveness of learning the same thing with the help of a teacher, in a classroom setting, is surely manyfold..

And also, I don't think every video course is free!! In any case, if you observe closely, most starting level course material will be available for free. If you want to go beyond a point, be it photoshop or a programming language or any other thing, for that matter, it's usually charged. So, that point is also not always true. Hence, to conclude, videos can be a very effective supplement in our quest to learn something, but it alone can't educate us as effectively as a teacher can.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Are the video lectures taught by computers??? For eg: the NPTEL video courses are basically video recordings of the human lectures ,
    I believe video tuts are more like on-line FAQ, you can only learn what's in it, you cannot go beyond and ask something out of the video, you still need a human to process your question and answer it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Untill computers become artificially intelligent; there's no replacement to humans. The computers will just bridge the geographical and lingual gap between the teachers and students.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I second you on this thought biggi. Untill we make AI computers, its not possible to replace humans. Infact, even after that necessaity of teaching can not be avoided as computer can work only on human derived programes. All doubts that are not programmed can not be resolved by Computers.

About video tutorial, those are mere recordings. If every things goes as expected then only these tutorial are useful, for any unexpected behavior they are worthless.

-CB
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    Computer can never replace the teachers, even if AI is introduced in computers because a teacher can feel how the students is understanding the subject or can change way of teaching according to the student. But computer can never feel the same way.
  • think
    think
    well surely both humans and machines have a plus plus on this situation
    teachers themselves create the tutorial thus job saved and machines show them over and over replacing certain noobs 😁
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    In my opinion, Computers cannot replace teachers.
    They provide you with certain knowledge on/about something or the other, but when it comes to solving our queries, it fails.

The videos which are meant for teaching are prepared by teachers themselves. A good teacher is the solution to all your queries when it comes to learning.
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    Computers can't replace teachers. Actually the online study may be good but it lacks the environment that we can only got in class room. And teacher also tell us some from his experiences, but computers give us the knowledge to the point.
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    @ BCA_GIRL i m totally agree with u

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anybody who has been or is on Facebook has apparently stumbled across FarmVille more than just once. People who are addicted to playing FarmVille, think the game is stupid and...
San Francisco, CA, September 28, 2010 – AOL Inc. [NYSE: AOL] today announced that it has agreed to acquire TechCrunch, Inc., the company that owns and operates TechCrunch and its...
Look at this video, simply amazing! [video=youtube;VcHMEbJUcTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHMEbJUcTY[/video]
This escalator follows free-form curves (but not convention!) and offers a better "cost per usable step" than your typical moving stairs. It has been patented in Europe, USA and in...
North Carolina's Charlotte Motor Speedway is working on building world's biggest HD screen, 200 foot long and 80 foot tall. This giant screen will weight 165,000 pounds, cover an area...