Can computer work solely on BIOS, Without Operating System?

BIOS is a small program that controls personal computer's hardware from the time the computer is started and until it is taken upon by the operating system..
also BIOS is said to be the computer's inbuilt operating system...
my question is is it possible that a computer can work solely using BIOS without any operating system??
if yes then what exactly is the difference between BIOS and operating system now we are using???

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Edited the thread title to make it more relevant.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sure, Computer can run without Operating systems.The very early computers, the one which were made using vacuum tubes (I am talking about Charles babbage era) didn't have Operating systems.

I don't remember properly but I read it somewhere that when vacuum tubes were used, the man have to manually connect disconnect the wires, then fetch the instruction & then reconnect to obtain the computed result.
    Without OS, you cannot perform multitask, no matter what! You can only perform a single task at a single time without OS (GUI)
    I mean you cannot post on the CE while some movies being downloaded in torrent on other side.
    Operating system has made our life so damn easy.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    hmm.. this sound interesting, well I don't think a computer can work solely on BIOS, actually as soon as you turn on PC, the BIOS comes into action and perform POST operation (Power On Self Test) , which checks for stuff like CPU, Ram, keyboard, mouse (generally no mouse capability in BIOS) and other hardware devices, and helps in booting up (bootstraping through bootstrap program), and then control after checking everything goes to your OS (if any).

Most probably you can't work on BIOS itself, it is just a small OS which helps the main OS in getting all the info and get you started.

In other OS, such as Windows you get a GUI which makes it easy to manage your resources.

Still would like to know What's the exact answer from some tech freak guys here..
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    ohh..i got it..
    sometimes we get a message in our computers like "your os is not genuine.it is expired" like this..
    it literally means that the os in that computer is not working right??but then how come we perform multitasks??
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    gwendollen
    ohh..i got it..
    sometimes we get a message in our computers like "your os is not genuine.it is expired" like this..
    it literally means that the os in that computer is not working right??but then how come we perform multitasks??
    That's problem with your Windows OS, it means you have not purchased a genuine copy but running a pirated copy.

PS : Use Ubuntu, Free , Open Source, Awesome !
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    gwendollen
    ohh..i got it..
    Nope. It simply means that you are using pirated version of the Operating system.
    If you're like me who can't afford spending 14K bucks on an Operating system, I suggest you to use Why Linux ? (Why to prefer Linux OS over other paid ones)
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If it is not genuine a common problem which all the Windows users have It means that you have used a counterfeit copy of the OS in your system

This alert comes only if you have applied for some validation of any update to an existing Microsoft product

PS: Try the penguin's magic the best solution to this problem any time
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Sanyam Khurana
    That's problem with your Windows OS, it means you have not purchased a genuine copy but running a pirated copy.

PS : Use Ubuntu, Free , Open Source, Awesome !

yes i know that it the pirated version..but here my doubt is if the os then is not working how can we perform multitasks as #-Link-Snipped-# said??
    i observed this in my laptop..i hope you understood my doubt...
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    gwendollen
    yes i know that it the pirated version..but here my doubt is if the os then is not working how can we perform multitasks as #-Link-Snipped-# said??
    i observed this in my laptop..i hope you understood my doubt...

Can't understand exactly what you're trying to ask, may be some more detailed explanation would help?
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nope. It simply means that you are using pirated version of the Operating system.
    If you're like me who can't afford spending 14K bucks on an Operating system, I suggest you to use Why Linux ? (Why to prefer Linux OS over other paid ones)

ok then though the alert is shown it is just a warning but in actual the operating system is still in function..is that what you are telling??
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Multi tasking is just running more than one application at the same time that is it.

It generally needs an OS irrespective of it being Genuine or not

You can multi task till you don't crash your OS or your hardware
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    gwendollen
    ok then though the alert is shown it is just a warning but in actual the operating system is still in function..is that what you are telling??
    Yes, that's true, Conqueror also said it right, Multitasking works irrespective of your OS being Genuine or Not.

PS :- For more info on how BIOS works etc. see Basic Computer Operation Tutorial - The BIOS, I hope this helps 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

At lowest cost a RFtransrecivers are available in market and they consume very little bit of current if compared with normal zigbee transrecivers.it will be configured via SPI protocol and...
While designing an ISP for AVR through serial configuration and 8051,coming to 8051 it supports for 89sxx versions but when flashing the program in to controllers then getting an issue.software...
Hello Sirs Nice to post a new thread here Guys I find this confusing me a lot When a Crystal is excited by means of increasing temperature What sort of...
As am doing one real time project on automation using RF Transreciver nrf24l01, as coming to the module, company provided the sample code to test the module in SPI protocol,where...
Aakash 4 specifications are finally out and the Government of India has made an official statement about how they propose the next instalment in the Aakash tablet series should be...