Can Air Act As "Ground" For Electrical Circuits?

In airplanes, the wings have these small outlets that act as 'ground'. Ideally used when the lightening strikes (from what I've read). So when flying, airplanes do use Air as 'ground'. Does it only hold true when the potentials are *VERY HIGH* - tens of thousands of volts? What are the other conditions in which air can be used as electrical 'ground'?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If the potentials are capable of breaking the air's dielectric then it can be used as a super conductor

Once the breakdown occurs the resistance of the media becomes 0 and thus potential at that spot is zero and can be used as ground
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Ahsanul haque
    if you are both answering all question so others Viewers of yours activity lol
    i think are u doing job in this forum? better if u open 4/5 a/c and answer question on several accounts. then its look better.
    Hey friend if you have any problem with our way of posting do start discussion in chillax not in forum
  • a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    Cool down conq. cool down.
    Mostly in planes delta connections are introduced or else dedicated earths are provided as per my info.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    a.alandkar
    Cool down conq. cool down.
    Mostly in planes delta connections are introduced or else dedicated earths are provided as per my info.
    Post your info here mate We can debate or see how things are working in it
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In airplanes, the wings have these small outlets that act as 'ground'. Ideally used when the lightening strikes (from what I've read). So when flying, airplanes do use Air as 'ground'. Does it only hold true when the potentials are *VERY HIGH* - tens of thousands of volts? What are the other conditions in which air can be used as electrical 'ground'?
    First need to understand the difference between the term "ground" and "earthing". For every electrical load to work there are two points + and - required which indicate points of higher and lower potential respectively. If you look at a gadget all devices in the gadget are required to be connected between these two points, normally the one (+ve) is lead to the device through wire and the other (-ve) is lead through the body of the gadget. This is true for every gadget not just airplane. Even a two wheeler has the same - just open the head lamp cover and you will see only one wire (+) coming to it and other one point of the bulb is screwed in the body (-ve). This is done for (1) to save wire and second (2) shielding the interference arising from stray electromagnetic transients. This is "ground".

Earthing is actually connecting a wire deep into the earth with an earth plate, the earth being assumed to be huge mass to acquire electric charge.

I think there is confusion because in English we have (play)grounds on earth.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Kaustubh Katdare

Small outlets are made of cobalt and platinum tips which offer very high resistance, in the range of 20 Mega Ohms. These outlets are not only for lightning strikes but also for very high static charge developed on the aircraft while flying.

There is one more point, once aircraft reaches ground it is grounded to earth to remove all the charges it has then all the refuelling takes place.

But I am not quite sure that air is used as ground!!
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    i think at the height at which a plain is flying the air is not like at bottom it has larger humidity and every body knows that the humidity in air makes it a conductor like water so that air is becomes good conductor so the potential may be passes through it and if its very large then we see it in the form of thunder storms.is this not a reason or i am wrong then pls correct me.
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    I guess i noticed some of those tips recently and clicked it on my mobile at an airbase. Lemme get back with a pic or 2 and post it. Gotta dig it in my archives.
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    Yeah Got it. Are these the tips that we're talking about?

Hope they are visible
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    Let me tell you. In the airplenes , grounding is provided with the body of the airplane. Since the body of the airplane is so immence, so the ground wire is just connected to the body of the airplane. This provides the grounding.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I happened to read about Intel Haswell CPU and GPU on AnandTech. Not very familiar with the architecture myself, but a general question popped up in my head whether Haswell...
New test dates for TOEFL iBTest are August 10, 16, and 31 and September 7, 13 and 27 in some cities in India. ETS has decided to waive late fee...
Do you remember 2011 Tokyo Earthquake, 2010 Chile, 2008 China, Earthquakes on J&K, Gujarat, California and many more? These are just a few I named here, but there were many...
Ever thought that how difficult it is for cleaning the glass of sky touching skycrappers with glass windows. Life of window cleaners just hangs on a rope. A group of...
In numerous threads at CE we discuss about greatness of Android and few other feels that Apple is the best. I was just wondering if we can collect those points...