Can 12 Volt DC Motor Work On 12 Volt AC Supply?

can a 12v dc motor work on 12v ac supply..i.e. alternately forward & reverse bias?

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Yes, you can use a step-down transformer & a bridge rectifier to convert AC into DC and drive your motor
  • mayurpawar85
    mayurpawar85
    saurav actually i want to ask is tat.....let us consider a dc motor having 2 terminal A & B . i connect +ve(of dc source ) to A terminal & -ve to B terminal then motor will rotate
    in clockwise & if i interchange polarity then motor will move anticlockwise ........
    now wat if i connect AC souce to a dc motor ....as half cycle ac is +ve & half cycle is -ve ...so will tat motor roatae clockwise for +ve half cycle & then rotate anti-clockwise for -ve half cycle
  • dossdss
    dossdss
    i think dc motor wont work on 12v ac
    the dc value of the ac is 0.
    secondly as u said fwd n rev bias... but both the effects nullify each other as it happens very fast...
    but still we check it practically...
    u get a dc motor to clg tomorrow.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    yeah it will give you a good job of fixing over head wire from the transmission lines and stuff like that

never try this out it is potentially lethal in many ways my pal

the motor will only destroy itself and things around it if you try this out
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    mayurpawar85
    saurav actually i want to ask is tat.....let us consider a dc motor having 2 terminal A & B . i connect +ve(of dc source ) to A terminal & -ve to B terminal then motor will rotate
    in clockwise & if i interchange polarity then motor will move anticlockwise ........
    now wat if i connect AC souce to a dc motor ....as half cycle ac is +ve & half cycle is -ve ...so will tat motor roatae clockwise for +ve half cycle & then
    rotate anti-clockwise for -ve half cycle

this is not possible as the number of alternating cycles in the AC main is far too much per second and so there is no chance of it to work
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    dc motor never ever works with directly AC values.some conversion circuitry is required to run,that's normal conversion AC to DC, my bro... because DC is consists of "+" and "-"polarities not phase neutral polarities concepts. if you apply the ac supply to DC motor simply winding in side the motor get damages, either in both the situations of AC and DC motor with excitation of opposite field applying respectively directly motors get damages. according the motor nameplate(ratings) we need to apply the supply.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what type of lifting mechanism should we use in different irrigation and dam sluice gates?
hi every1 😀 i m mohammed mahboob i m ab.tech fourth year student i landed here in search of a seminar topic, ppt.
Supposing that you are able to fold a paper equally in half 'n' number of times. What would the size(width) of the paper be if you fold it 48 times.?...
Glad to inform you all that there are openings in Indian Navy. For Engineers who aspire to serve our nation well there is an opportunity for us. The online application...
Alrighty, you are a little less around these days , no worries. We are all wishing you a very happy birthday! 🎉 PS:CEans - you can read about ASk here...