Camless Engine: It would save fuel, run cleaner and more,,,

Good evening mates,

Most four-stroke piston engines today employ one or more camshafts to operate poppet valves. The lobes on the camshafts operate cam followers which in turn open the poppet valves. A camless (or, free valve engine) uses electromagnetic, hydraulic, or pneumatic actuators to open the poppet valves instead. Actuators can be used to both open and close the valves, or an actuator opens the valve while a spring closes it.

As a camshaft normally has only one lobe per valve, the valve duration and lift is fixed. The camshaft runs at half the engine speed. Although many modern engines use camshaft phasing, adjusting the lift and valve duration in a working engine is more difficult. Some manufacturers use systems with more than one cam lobe, but this is still a compromise as only a few profiles can be in operation at once. This is not the case with the camless engine, where lift and valve timing can be adjusted freely from valve to valve and from cycle to cycle. It also allows multiple lift events per cycle and, indeed, no events per cycleΓ’€”switching off the cylinder entirely.

Camless engines are not without their problems though. Common problems include high power consumption, accuracy at high speed, temperature sensitivity, weight and packaging issues, high noise, high cost, and unsafe operation in case of electrical problems.

Source: Camless

In camless engines the method will simply be solenoids and sensors and some magnetic actuators (I don't have sufficient details).

However, there is a rumour saying that BMW will be the first to release it on its 3-series cars πŸ˜‰

cheers,

Replies

• kasi kumar
    kasi kumar
    It's possible ah?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Wow, but in the current scenario, is this feasible? Atleast in the Indian traffic???
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    Its absolutely possible, for example there is a temperature sensor controlling the flow of the fuel, in case the motor is cold it will flow more fuel and once it reaches the ideal running temperature it will reduce the petrol flowing.

A similar concept will apply to the camless engine, perhaps sensors to verify to piston location and it will send the data to the computer which will give the order to solenoids to open and close accordingly.
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    @praveenscience

They are claiming that it will save fuel and it will respond faster the driver's right foot.

So I believe it will be feasible in the Indian traffic πŸ˜‰
    Wow, awesome... So, you said that BMW may be implementing it... Any other companies trying it for the Indian market?
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    BMW will be the first but till now they are testing the engine,,,
    However, other companies such as Renault, Fiat, Valeo, General Motors, Ricardo might be doing it =^.^=
    Can a similar concept be made for Two Wheelers??? Coz, its already price hike for petrol!!! 😲
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    I don't believe this would work for 2 wheelers!

Because most of the 2 wheelers and fixed engines (such as generators) runs on a 2 stroke engine!

[​IMG]

in the 2 stroke engine there is an inlet port (hole) for the mixture and there is an exhaust port.

we should also bear in mind that 2 stroke engines uses oil in its mixture!

its a pity that they don't have valves!!!
    Hey, what about bikes with 4 stroke engines??? Like mine, Honda CB Twister!!! πŸ˜€
    By the way, Honda CB Twister features 4-stroke Air-cooled SI engine and 9bhp power.
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    Seriously buddy I've no idea,,,
    I never heard that Honda is going to do anything similar, nor any company is trying to do it on bikes,,,
    however, theoretically it would work on your bike πŸ˜‰
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    its absolutely great, but I'm worried about it,,,
    because in the current situation 90% of the motor now days is computers, sensors, CPUs ,,, etc
    In the new Audi you need to computer to change the breaks!!!
    Al-Otaiby
    its absolutely great, but I'm worried about it,,,
    because in the current situation 90% of the motor now days is computers, sensors, CPUs ,,, etc
    In the new Audi you need to computer to change the breaks!!!
    Hey, they aren't in India right?
  • Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    Its here in Jordan πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The 2011 contest is now open for entries! Create the Future Design Contest ::Create the Future
Have you tried to understand the difference between economic systems in different countries - but simply can't get your head around it? This classic jokes explains it all, with cows:...
[video=youtube;LX07w8_uNtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX07w8_uNtk&feature=[/video]
I was reading the Google Blog a few minutes ago when suddenly my MacBook screen turned black. πŸ˜• The cursor was still visible and I could move the cursor across...
Check out this roll top design.πŸ˜€ [video=youtube;7H0K1k54t6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H0K1k54t6A[/video] What do you think about this ? πŸ˜’