calculation of torque in a rectangular section

hi,
how do you calculate torque in a rectangular section due to rotation.do we follow the same method as we use for circulaer cross section. that is torque=force * perpendicular distance/

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Actually FORCE*PERP.DISTANCE = MOMENT OF THE FORCE and NOT torque.
    TORQUE would be exclusively the TURNING EFFORT for the rotation of the shaft.
    The rectangular section of the shaft would not change the torque required, it depends on the load to be turned and the mass moment of inertia for the particular geometrical shape of the shaft c/s ( in this case its rectangular).
    So for Torque calculations use the formula I have mentioned in an answer to your earlier post.
  • vish4me
    vish4me
    hi,
    in this case, the shaft c/s is circular. but a rectangular c/s load is mounted on the shaft. how do i calculate the torque.
  • vish4me
    vish4me
    hi,
    i used the formulae torque=I*alpha. the section mounted on shaft should rotate by 180 degrees in 25 minutes. so the speed of shaft came to be 0.02 rpm. hence alpha was very small. so the torque i calculated was of very low value. also the power caame to be in watts even though the weight to be rotated was 15 tonnes. wat is the mistake?
  • vish4me
    vish4me
    hi,
    i am doing a project on frame tilting arrangement where the sheet metal stacks mounted on a shaft have to be rotated by 180 degrees. the mass of the shaft is 15 tonnes. to calculate the torque required i found the mass moment of inertia and multiplied it by angular acceleration. the total time taken to rotate the stacks is 25 minutes.so the speed is extremely slow. since the setup reaches the speed instantaneously, for calculating angular acceleration i took time as 0.1 sec(i don know whether this is right). i got very low torque value and also low power.(it came in watts!). i donot know the mistake . please help asap.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i have to rotate 15000 kgs using a dc electric motor.the power required is 2.5 hp. since the rotation is slow can i choose the rpm to be around 20....
English-ScaredHello people , we have started three different threads for all the three sections . Please make the use of it and post your queries there . This will be...
work done in case of a cyclic process is equal to algebraic sum of work done over each individual cycle For e.g. in Carnot cycle work done should be equal...
Alright I am going to start using a Pocket DVR Camera that I got a few years back once again. At the moment though the current batteries you get with...
Hi Guys, "This Thread is for Educational purpose only" (The examples given here are very basic... all websites are well protected from these types of simple SQL injection attacks 😉,...