Calculating Power from Cylinder

Hi all,

I'm wanting to calculate the instantaneous power of a piston. I know that usually P = Fv, where F is the force applied and v is the velocity. In this case, I'm pretty sure I need to use P = Fomega, where F is the force applied to the piston multiplied by the pressure and omega is the rotational velocity.

My question is

1) Is this formula correct?
2) How do I calculate the force?

I'm not a mechanical engineer, so please excuse my ignorance (my Google-fu hasn't really turned up anything of interest). I can provide more details about the piston if needed.

Thanks.

Replies

• Zaraphrax
    Zaraphrax
    Since nobody has replied, I thought I'd post this up here. I've done a bit of work with it and gotten some sort of procedure that I need to work backwards from.

I'm given:

-Crank angle at all times in the cycle
    - Internal pressure at corresponding times
    - Bore of the cylinder
    - Stroke length
    - Engine RPM

From this, I've tried to work out a way that I can calculate the power at any given time.

Working backwards, Pressure = Force x Area (where area is based on the bore), solving this for the Force.
    Using the piston motion equation 0.5*stroke(1-cos theta), where theta is the corresponding crank angle, solve for the distance from top-dead-centre. Now multiply this by the force found previously, giving Torque.
    Now that we have torque, multiply this by the angular velocity in radians per second (2*pi*rpm/60) giving power.

Sound reasonable?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are an Apple fanboy, you should listen to this Steve Jobs song - [video=youtube;i_qWXTuzVxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qWXTuzVxE[/video]
Hi, sorry for being here after a very long time(really long...1yr almost) 😒 I'm pursuing Electronics and Communication Engineering From Indraprastha University (2nd Year) and need help for making a...
Hello friends First of all i would like to thanks all who helped me for solving my password program problem in c++.I had a two problems 1.searching 2.sorting of records...
Hello Ceans ! I saw that many ceans are asking about the project or posting threads regarding the query in their project but no one replies back with the status...
Hi Guys, I have few doubts regarding Metallurgy. We are using Bearing Steel (EN-31 / SAE 52100) for manufacturing certain components. We are using commercial quality material from ISMT and...