Raith
Raith
Branch Unspecified
04 Mar 2008

Calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the circuit impedence

I am currently still going to school as an EE major, I am taking an electronics devices class, I seem to be having issues with this diagram:

[​IMG]

Sorry if it is sloppily drawn. It asks to Calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the circuit impedence, I know to find the impedence it is 1/(2PI*f*c), which is around 4 ohms. But how does one find the magnitude[convert to V which the formula works as (sqrt. Vc^2 + Vr^2)]. My question is this, would I need to change uF and f into V to get the magnitude or does it work like the magnitude formula but the result would not come out as voltage?
11 years ago
Re: Hope this is the right place to ask this

Raith, the most appropriate place for this question is our Electronics & Electrical Engineering section where we discuss everything related to electricity 😀 .

-The Big K-
Raith

Raith

Branch Unspecified
11 years ago
You're right but this is for newbies like me haha, I think I figured it out after reading over some sections of the book. Cheers!
reachrkata

reachrkata

Branch Unspecified
11 years ago
Woow !!! need to brush up all the forgotten Basic electricity studied ages back during Engineering.

But If I remember it right :
expressing the impedance as a Complex number
Z = R + jXc where Xc is 1/(2*Pi*f*C)

then i think the magnitude is Sqrt (R^2 + Xc^2)
and the phase i think is tan inverse (Xc/R)

I only vaguely remember this, so people please correct me If i am wrong ???

As i see, there is no need of any voltage. the frequency is given only for the impedance calculation.
crook

crook

Branch Unspecified
11 years ago
You can use subscripts and superscripts using special bb codes. Look https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259
surendarkashyap

surendarkashyap

Branch Unspecified
11 years ago
magnitude is sqrt(R^2+Xc^2)
phase is actuallt arc tan(Z/R)where Z=(Xc-Xl)[Xl is impedence due to inductor which is zero in this case)
so phase(according to this prob )is arc tan(Xc/R)
tats rite!!!!!!
sauravgoswami

sauravgoswami

Electronic
11 years ago
Dude,hope u have got your ans,and solve it accordingly..welcome!!!

Share this content on your social channels -

Only logged in users can reply.