CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Raith • 19 Oct, 2007
I am currently still going to school as an EE major, I am taking an electronics devices class, I seem to be having issues with this diagram:

[​IMG]

Sorry if it is sloppily drawn. It asks to Calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the circuit impedence, I know to find the impedence it is 1/(2PI*f*c), which is around 4 ohms. But how does one find the magnitude[convert to V which the formula works as (sqrt. Vc^2 + Vr^2)]. My question is this, would I need to change uF and f into V to get the magnitude or does it work like the magnitude formula but the result would not come out as voltage?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 20 Oct, 2007 Re: Hope this is the right place to ask this

Raith, the most appropriate place for this question is our Electronics & Electrical Engineering section where we discuss everything related to electricity 😀 .

-The Big K-
@Raith • 20 Oct, 2007 You're right but this is for newbies like me haha, I think I figured it out after reading over some sections of the book. Cheers!
@reachrkata • 29 Oct, 2007 Woow !!! need to brush up all the forgotten Basic electricity studied ages back during Engineering.

But If I remember it right :
expressing the impedance as a Complex number
Z = R + jXc where Xc is 1/(2*Pi*f*C)

then i think the magnitude is Sqrt (R^2 + Xc^2)
and the phase i think is tan inverse (Xc/R)

I only vaguely remember this, so people please correct me If i am wrong ???

As i see, there is no need of any voltage. the frequency is given only for the impedance calculation.
@crook • 30 Oct, 2007 You can use subscripts and superscripts using special bb codes. Look https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259
@surendarkashyap • 01 Mar, 2008 magnitude is sqrt(R^2+Xc^2)
phase is actuallt arc tan(Z/R)where Z=(Xc-Xl)[Xl is impedence due to inductor which is zero in this case)
so phase(according to this prob )is arc tan(Xc/R)
tats rite!!!!!!
@sauravgoswami • 04 Mar, 2008 Dude,hope u have got your ans,and solve it accordingly..welcome!!!
3k views

Related Posts

@Velshankar MJ · Oct 2, 2013

Those who are preparing for GATE 2014 examination can attend this examination to check your progress. This free mock examination will be conducted by TIME institute on OCT 6 all...
3.6k views

@Satya Swaroop Dash · Sep 15, 2014

Karbonn unveiled its first Android One smartphone today at 3:30pm along with Micromax and Spice. The Karbonn Android One Sparkle V went on sale on Snapdeal for Rs. 6399. As...
4.3k views

@Rucha Wankhede · Mar 24, 2016

Google has come up with a smart solution for all the photography blues of sorting after a fun filled vacation. Its services now include suggestion of a new album for...
1.9k views

@renu sharma · Jun 22, 2013

what is the difference between BJT and power BJT? what are the applications of each of them?
7.1k views

@madhu27 · May 25, 2013

I am keen in knowing physical meaning of poles and zeros. physical meaning in the sense what does poles and zeros mean in real world....
2.4k views