@Raith • 19 Oct, 2007
I am currently still going to school as an EE major, I am taking an electronics devices class, I seem to be having issues with this diagram:

[​IMG]

Sorry if it is sloppily drawn. It asks to Calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the circuit impedence, I know to find the impedence it is 1/(2PI*f*c), which is around 4 ohms. But how does one find the magnitude[convert to V which the formula works as (sqrt. Vc^2 + Vr^2)]. My question is this, would I need to change uF and f into V to get the magnitude or does it work like the magnitude formula but the result would not come out as voltage?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 20 Oct, 2007 Re: Hope this is the right place to ask this

Raith, the most appropriate place for this question is our Electronics & Electrical Engineering section where we discuss everything related to electricity 😀 .

-The Big K-
@Raith • 20 Oct, 2007 You're right but this is for newbies like me haha, I think I figured it out after reading over some sections of the book. Cheers!
@reachrkata • 29 Oct, 2007 Woow !!! need to brush up all the forgotten Basic electricity studied ages back during Engineering.

But If I remember it right :
expressing the impedance as a Complex number
Z = R + jXc where Xc is 1/(2*Pi*f*C)

then i think the magnitude is Sqrt (R^2 + Xc^2)
and the phase i think is tan inverse (Xc/R)

I only vaguely remember this, so people please correct me If i am wrong ???

As i see, there is no need of any voltage. the frequency is given only for the impedance calculation.
@crook • 30 Oct, 2007 You can use subscripts and superscripts using special bb codes. Look https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259
@surendarkashyap • 01 Mar, 2008 magnitude is sqrt(R^2+Xc^2)
phase is actuallt arc tan(Z/R)where Z=(Xc-Xl)[Xl is impedence due to inductor which is zero in this case)
so phase(according to this prob )is arc tan(Xc/R)
tats rite!!!!!!
@sauravgoswami • 04 Mar, 2008 Dude,hope u have got your ans,and solve it accordingly..welcome!!!

Related Posts

I thought of compiling a list of the coolest and the best whatsapp group names that you've been using for your respective groups. For the sake of convenience, we'll stick...
A simple good bye email or last working day mail ain't cool! We've some awesome templates that you can use. If you're looking for an amazing Last Working Day email...
Hello CEans, How to convert CGPA (10 Point Scale) to Percentage? Please help!
I heard many students are having a trouble registering on the TCS Portal, when it's quite straightforward actually. If you have problem in attaching photos or CV, Use internet explorer...
What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) conducts the Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2016 is an entrance exam for graduates who wish to...