Calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the circuit impedence

I am currently still going to school as an EE major, I am taking an electronics devices class, I seem to be having issues with this diagram:

[​IMG]

Sorry if it is sloppily drawn. It asks to Calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the circuit impedence, I know to find the impedence it is 1/(2PI*f*c), which is around 4 ohms. But how does one find the magnitude[convert to V which the formula works as (sqrt. Vc^2 + Vr^2)]. My question is this, would I need to change uF and f into V to get the magnitude or does it work like the magnitude formula but the result would not come out as voltage?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: Hope this is the right place to ask this

Raith, the most appropriate place for this question is our Electronics & Electrical Engineering section where we discuss everything related to electricity 😀 .

-The Big K-
  • Raith
    Raith
    You're right but this is for newbies like me haha, I think I figured it out after reading over some sections of the book. Cheers!
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Woow !!! need to brush up all the forgotten Basic electricity studied ages back during Engineering.

But If I remember it right :
    expressing the impedance as a Complex number
    Z = R + jXc where Xc is 1/(2*Pi*f*C)

then i think the magnitude is Sqrt (R^2 + Xc^2)
    and the phase i think is tan inverse (Xc/R)

I only vaguely remember this, so people please correct me If i am wrong ???

As i see, there is no need of any voltage. the frequency is given only for the impedance calculation.
  • crook
    crook
    You can use subscripts and superscripts using special bb codes. Look #-Link-Snipped-#
  • surendarkashyap
    surendarkashyap
    magnitude is sqrt(R^2+Xc^2)
    phase is actuallt arc tan(Z/R)where Z=(Xc-Xl)[Xl is impedence due to inductor which is zero in this case)
    so phase(according to this prob )is arc tan(Xc/R)
    tats rite!!!!!!
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Dude,hope u have got your ans,and solve it accordingly..welcome!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello all engineers and potential engineers out there. This thread is to give the new members a clear direction on how to post their questions to the forums and get...
hey!s i guess we are missing one important and "the" most fascinating engineering trade in today's world! THE MATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGINEERING!!! calling out material science s out here! lets...
Probably not a good topic for debate. But you'll agree, its an interesting topic! What, according to you, was the greatest engineering achievement in 20th century & why? -The Big...
HEllo friends I have CD RW previously now I borrow a DVD RW with my friends to copy some material when I connect it to my PC in a same...
Hey everyone, I am in the process of completing my senior design project in school and am in need of some assistance with a portion of it. Essentially want I...