CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Raith • 19 Oct, 2007
I am currently still going to school as an EE major, I am taking an electronics devices class, I seem to be having issues with this diagram:

[​IMG]

Sorry if it is sloppily drawn. It asks to Calculate the magnitude and phase angle of the circuit impedence, I know to find the impedence it is 1/(2PI*f*c), which is around 4 ohms. But how does one find the magnitude[convert to V which the formula works as (sqrt. Vc^2 + Vr^2)]. My question is this, would I need to change uF and f into V to get the magnitude or does it work like the magnitude formula but the result would not come out as voltage?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 20 Oct, 2007 Re: Hope this is the right place to ask this

Raith, the most appropriate place for this question is our Electronics & Electrical Engineering section where we discuss everything related to electricity 😀 .

-The Big K-
@Raith • 20 Oct, 2007 You're right but this is for newbies like me haha, I think I figured it out after reading over some sections of the book. Cheers!
@reachrkata • 29 Oct, 2007 Woow !!! need to brush up all the forgotten Basic electricity studied ages back during Engineering.

But If I remember it right :
expressing the impedance as a Complex number
Z = R + jXc where Xc is 1/(2*Pi*f*C)

then i think the magnitude is Sqrt (R^2 + Xc^2)
and the phase i think is tan inverse (Xc/R)

I only vaguely remember this, so people please correct me If i am wrong ???

As i see, there is no need of any voltage. the frequency is given only for the impedance calculation.
@crook • 30 Oct, 2007 You can use subscripts and superscripts using special bb codes. Look https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259
@surendarkashyap • 01 Mar, 2008 magnitude is sqrt(R^2+Xc^2)
phase is actuallt arc tan(Z/R)where Z=(Xc-Xl)[Xl is impedence due to inductor which is zero in this case)
so phase(according to this prob )is arc tan(Xc/R)
tats rite!!!!!!
@sauravgoswami • 04 Mar, 2008 Dude,hope u have got your ans,and solve it accordingly..welcome!!!
8.5k views

Related Posts

@weirdo911 · Aug 4, 2012

hi every one! i'm a new user on this forum. i'd like to seek help to decide which university to go in i'm pursuing my b.tech 4th year now, in...
3.4k views

@Sahithi Pallavi · Mar 14, 2010

Hi guys! I am coming to final year and its time to decide about my project. I wanna do my project on Sixth Sense Technology. Is it possible to do...
6.4k views

@ISHAN TOPRE · Apr 4, 2011

Hi friends, I am preparing for GATE and want some advice on preparation. Some of my friends are going to Hyderabad for preparation. But what is the difference between self...
4.2k views

@vineela krishna · Jul 14, 2009

Suggest a Good Book to prepare for Competitive Exams Hi Friends, I'm an electrical engineering graduate, planning to prepare for various Competitive exams. I'm looking for a good book(good author)...
4.9k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jul 6, 2013

ASUSTeK Computer, the Taiwanese multi-national has brought the world's thinnest Windows 8 tablet-cum-notebook, a truly revolutionary product of its kind to the Indian market. Now launched in India, the ASUS...
3.7k views