CAD Drawing File Storage System?

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster, etc etc. Forgive me if this belongs in another forum.

I'm a mining engineer working for a mining company. We design & manufacture proprietary mining equipment of all kinds.

Over the years we've ended up with all sorts of CAD drawings (80% mechanical, some hydraulic, electrical). As we add new units to our equipment line, our library of files just keeps growing, and it's becoming difficult for even our CAD guys to locate a drawing, let alone the shop foreman.

Here are some issues we've run into:
  • We don't keep a revision history so it's hard to determine the "latest" updated drawing. Last month a unit was built with 2" lifting eyes, at a cost of $1000 each, because a drawing was updated for a special case.
  • It's just plain difficult to locate a drawing. We don't really have a useful searchable database.
  • There is no accountability built into the system. If someone updates a drawing - we need to know who did it, in case we need to ask this person why the change was made.
Now, I have some ideas as to how I'd fix this, but I'm curious how large-scale industrial companies keep their drawings database organized. Are there any pre-existing software solutions?

Any input is appreciated.

Replies

• Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Try any Product Life cycle Management (PLM) software.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

you may find this link helpful.

Some of the leading PLM software come from PTC windchill, Siemens Teamcenter, Dassault systems Enovia, SAP PLM etc. you may surf the internet to get more information.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: For six months each year, the perennially dark and wind-swept plains of the southern polar ice cap have an average temperature of about 58 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. In...
Quote: WHETHER YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, SCIENCE MAJOR IN COLLEGE OR A LIFELONG LEARNER, WORLD SCIENCE U IS WHERE YOU CAN EXPLORE THE WONDERS OF SCIENCE GUIDED BY...
Today at 9:58 PM, earthquake of Richter scale 5.8 rattled eastern India. the epicenter was somewhere in Bay of Bangal. Earthquake tremors were felt at Bihar's Gaya, Patna, Ranchi, Jamshedpur...
Hello...i am jaenetha from malaysia,i need to do major project for my final year project.I need any creative idea.