C++ Pointers-Concept Explained

C++ pointer or simply a pointer is a simple variable that has the capability to store the memory address of some location.

Lets discuss a small program for illustration:

int * p;
int q=10;
p=&q;
cout<<"Address of q is: "<<p<<endl;
cout<<"Value of q is: "<<*p<<endl;

[*]Here p is a pointer variable and q is a simple interger variable.
    [*]& is the address operator. So when we've the statement p=&q, we are actually initializing p with the memory address of q.
    [*]As memory addresses are generally of hexadecimal type, so p now also has some hexadecimal value.
    [*]p as such has no data type. But int *p means that the data type of the contents of memory location referenced by p (i.e. q) is interger.
    [*]So p is also called pointer to integer.
    [*]Displaying p will display the memory address of the variable q.
    [*]*p displays the content of the memory location it refers to i.e. value of q.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all I need your help, I've got two suppliers of Naval brass, the materials are the same from each supplier and a chemical analysis has confirmed this, a hardness...
Pulling off the ultimate career makeover - Fortune Management
www.natural-ui.com, ,Natural User Interface (NUI) is a Swedish innovative emerging technology company specializing in delivering commercially available advanced multi-touch software, hardware and service solutions, to the global market. [video=youtube;oD-SacHOKqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD-SacHOKqc[/video]
Do anybody know the placement procedure of HCL Technologies-server and storage services?? It would be great if you could give me the placement papers of that company. I desperately need...
Flexible Workstation Suitable For Industrial Cutting, Welding and Drilling JK Lasers would like to introduce the JK System 5000, a flexible workstation that can be integrated with lasers from both...